Charles Lee

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24203
Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake
Reservation Date : 05/04/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5 - 1-3lb range
Lures Used : Chatterbait, Spinnerbait, Senko, Creaturebait, Popper

I am a new member and this was my first outing and my first review.  This review will be lengthy so I apologize in advance.  I will start with the things that are on the "negative" side and finish with the positive stuff.  The lake is in a very remote area in Bowie.  It requires work to get to the boat launch from the access road.  You will have to open and close three different gates.  The reviews by other members about the access road are accurate.  The road is not easy to drive on and it takes about 15 mins from the main gate to get to the boat ramp.  I did not have any trouble in my Suburban (4 wheel drive engaged) but a truck with higher clearance would be ideal.  I would not try and drive a car down that road or try to trailer a boat of any size.  The small boat next to the launch ramp is serviceable but it has a slow leak and I had to use a small towel and squeeze water out every 7 to 10 mins or so to prevent my feet and gear from getting soaked.  Another member left some pieces of wood under the boat to help better support a trolling motor and I thank the member for doing so.  I used the longer piece to put on the outside to mount my trolling motor and it worked well.  I used the rest of the wood to prop up my battery so it would not get wet.  Yesterday was very windy so I could only effectively fish one side of the lake.  I was running a little late and was thinking of grabbing an anchor at Walmart but chose not to.  Big mistake.  I would recommend bringing an anchor on this lake.  If you do not use an anchor this trip will feel like work esp if there is wind.  The boat is good for one person in my opinion.  Two people could work but you better not have a lot of gear.  The boat is small and light.  The wind blew me around all day.  Water clarity very low, chocolaty. Enough of the potentially down sides to this place...

I had a wonderful day on this lake despite the windy and hot conditions.  If you want to get away from everything come fish this lake.  It is on a beautiful piece of property.  Since it was my first outing I enjoyed the experience of opening/closing gates, putting my truck into 4 wheel drive to tackle rough terrain, and being on a lake all by myself where I could not get any cell reception.  I was content with the fishing but also disappointed because I lost at least three monsters and could not see how big they were due to water clarity.  I will be using only heavy line from now on on these private lakes.  I was able to land a couple 2 lbers, a 3 lber and 2 fish around a lb.  It seemed like every time I threw next to a large rock on the shoreline there was a bass on it.  They were holding close to the banks.  As you get close to the owners home on the other side of the lake there is a point and to the right the wind does not affect the water there at all.   There, the water gets shallow and I was able to stick my trolling motor in the sand to anchor the boat just past the point.  I threw a chatterbait with a shad trailer and spinnerbait (white/chrome) for about 30 mins because I saw bass chasing shad.  I was able to get at least 4 to 5 bites from there.  It was the best place to fish that day due to the winds and because I was able to stop the boat completely and concentrate on the fishing.  Further down the lake there is a beaver's damn.  Water is a little calmer there too but again, with no anchor you will get blown around.  My back is in a lot of pain right now from all the contorting on the wobbly boat, bending down to bail out water and trying to cast in 12 to 15 mph winds.  But, I still had a joyful day and I hope this trip will be the hardest one of them all.  Tight lines to you all and have a blessed time out there.