Chip Evans

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24152
Property Name : Lago Escondido
Reservation Date : 05/02/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 89, 1-6.5lbs
Lures Used : Soft Plastics, Frogs

My son and I fished Lago Escondido all day on Saturday with a couple of breaks throughout the day. We ended the day with 89 fish including 14 culls under 16in. We caught fish in all parts of the lake using mostly soft plastics. Walking frogs worked early in the pads, did not produce any large fish but still a lot of fun! We moved to weightless flukes and senkos in green pumpkin/baby bass color and caught many up the creek in the trees. As the day got warmer, we went back to what has worked in the past, dragging Carolina rigs along the bottom with a 10in worm in plum and junebug color. This technique helped us cover water and worked in every part of the lake. We caught many big fish with the largest being 6.5lbs. 40+ fish were above 3lbs. Multiple fish over 5lbs. 

Another unique experience was netting a 7lb bass. We noticed a fish rolling around on the surface and at first assumed it was some type of carp because it was so large. Upon further inspection, we found that it was actually a very nice largemouth. The fish had a popper in its mouth that had been broken off. The two treble hooks were holding her mouth open so the fish could not swim properly. We netted the fish, and after some work with the pliers we were able to remove the popper. We gave her a long revive and she swam off just fine. Mouth was torn up from trying to throw the popper for a couple days but should heal. I attached a photo of the popper below, the line snapped about 6in from the bait. Could only imagine what a fish this large must have looked like hitting a top water. 

All in all a great day of fishing. Had some nice conversations with the owner and learned some more about the lake and its history. Lago Escondido produces many quality fish and should continue to do so throughout the summer.