The one and only lure

May 01 2020

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I fished Rock Chimney from 10AM till 5PM on the 27th and caught bass from 10AM till 1:30PM.  We've all had experiences like this:  You book 40 hours early when the weather forecast says rain will hold off until late night.  You get your kayak gear ready. Then, 12 hours from your trip, the forecast says "Well, now there is a high chance of possibly severe thunderstorms between 7AM and 10AM with decreasing rain chances but increasing wind later.  Somebody in your household comments that kayaking solo in those conditions (at your age) may not be the smartest thing you've ever done.  So, you time your arrival for 10AM and arrive to find it very cloudy and somewhat breezy but bone dry.  The bass are chasing small minnows and dragonflies and you enjoy walking the bank and catching hard-fighting bass.  You try several different types of lure and now they are hitting your crankbait with gusto.  You have a nice chat with the landowner who points out where the 5-pounder was recently caught but she apparently practices social distancing now.  Thunderstorms keep building 15 miles to the SE but they move away from you and all you get is the occasional rolling thunder and another bass.  This is the life!  Then, while bending over to pick up a played-out bass in the shallows at your feet, you commit the dreaded "user error" and keep a short tight line.  The fish suddenly decides to show you her acrobatic skills and SNAP!  The last you see of your lure is it hanging out of the mouth of the bass as she SLOWLY, tauntingly swims out of reach.  Okay, you've got similar lures.  Will a different brand work?  Nooo.  How about a different color?  Nooo.  A different size? Nooo.  Game over???

Truthfully, I did finally catch several more with a swimbait before I stopped for a late lunch but only if I cast near a bass swirl.  After a short lunch break, conditions changed; the sun came out, the wind started creating whitecaps, and visible bass activity disappeared.  It became a grind until I finally moved to a spot with the wind at my back and deeper water within casting distance.  I tried a silver jerkbait (which I am terrible at) and it worked! Well, 1 bass per hour rather than 5 or 6 but at least I got some practice with an unfamiliar technique.  I never got a bite on a worm.

I ended the day with 20 bass.  Good day at a good lake.