Scott Porto

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23630
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 04/01/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 77
Lures Used : spinner bait & small grub jig

Fished all day with a buddy and had a great day. Started off the morning around 8am and immediately started catching bass. The wind picked up and we decided to take a lunch break around noon. Once we returned we drove to the back lake and banked fished for a couple of hours and only picked up 2 bass. We returned to the front lake and fished as long as we could before the battery died...(the wind was blowing pretty good). We ended up with 29 bass removed and 18 returned. As we sat on the dock talking about how much fun we just had we decided to see if anything was biting off the dock. What happened over the next 30 minutes was nothing but awesome. We started catching perch off the dock...one after another. We both had our light tackle rigs with us and it nothing short of a blast. We ended up with 30 perch. It was a great way to cap off such an awesome trip. 

I truly enjoy fishing this lake and can't thank Private Water Fishing and the owner for the opportunity to enjoy such a great pond. By far this is the lake I fish the most and every time I am there the owner always finds time to greet me during my trip. I appreciate that he takes the time to stop by and chat. What a great place.

I have attached a picture of one perch that was caught in the main like while bass fishing. One of the biggest I have seen caught. My buddy caught it on a spinner bait and it weight a solid 1 pound, 10 ounces!

Apr 02 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Scott,

I think that picture is a white crappie? There are a lot of crappie in that lake. 

Steve

Apr 02 2020

Scott Porto

Fry

Number of Posts :

Yes sir - it does seem there are a bunch in that lake. Being a dumb "coonass" from Louisiana some of us call them perch and some call them crappie (I know there is a difference not exactly sure what…LOL) but I call them good eating. :)

Apr 03 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Yea. I get it. Folks call fish by all kinds of names. I've heard crappie called papermouths, white perch and calico bass. Same thing with bluegill, there must be a dozen names. Usually in Texas we call all species within the sunfish family Bream or Perch.