The Burning Tree

Mar 30 2020

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I fished Friday, March 27 from sunup until 4pm, with moderate winds and a high of around 72. The first fish I caught was 3lb 5oz on a Pop R from off the dock. Then I looked up and saw smoke rising from a 60 foot tall lone tree in the water directly across the lake from the dock.  I trolled over to it and saw that there had apparently been a lightening strike earlier.  The steady breeze kept small flames fueled up and down its height, and it crackled as it burned and smoked. About four hours later the wind had come up, and I was fishing about 100 yards away.  I heard a loud cracking sound and looked up to see the tree crash down into the water with a huge splash.  So now it's a blackened 15 foot tree stump.  

As for the fishing, the bass were being difficult.  They were chasing bait right on the shorelines, but in the middle of the grass and moss.  They did not want to venture out into clear water.  What worked fairly well was weightless watermelon flukes tossed right to the edge of the grass.  I had no success with Senkos up in the trees though I spent quite a bit of time trying.  They did occasionally bite a black spinnerbait with copper Colorado blades, and I caught a few on a Pumkin Fat Albert on a 3/16 oz jig head.

Total fish count was 20 to 3lbs 5oz, and I culled 12 of them.  I love this lake and look forward to a better bite in a few weeks.   

Mar 30 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Love the title of your report. There is so much more than catching fish. That will be a story you will always remember. 

Steve