Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23275
Property Name : Hat and Star Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/15/2020 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 1@8.8, 3@5+, 1@4, 2@3.5
Lures Used : WhopPlop, PopSpook, SwimBait

We had a great (albeit short) morning of catching at Hat and Star.  We got there before dawn (easy with dawn at 0715).  We landed only 9 bass and one slab crappie, but most were good size, including one big mama at near 9 lbs. Lost a few others.

This all happened in the hour between 730 and 830, and the heat was on. Bass were busting baitfish all over the east bank. When we got a bite it was generally a big fish. We lost a few hookups when they shook the lure as they surfaced, and this was hard to prevent.

In that hour we landed:

1 at 8lbs 13 oz

3 at 5+

1 at just over 4lbs

2 at 3-4 lbs

And two culls at 15-16 inches, plus a nice 2+lb crappie

And then it just stopped at 9 am. Not a bite after that.

The wind and rain started blowing about 930 am, we hung out until 11:30 am, teeth chattering, soaking wet, no more bites, we called it a Sunday and went home.  I felt pretty good about the big mama. My best in a while.

A bald eagle hung out for an hour looking over the lake. She called the day about the same as us and flew away. Pics below.

I love Hat and Star. They play well when they want to.

8lbs 13 oz, 26"

26" big mama eats whopper ploppers:

Nice 5lber at dawn:

Nice American Bald Eagle looking for fish activity, same as us...

Mar 16 2020

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Wow Jim - what a magic hour!  Congrats on the big bite.  Thanks for sharing the report and the pics. 

Mark

Mar 17 2020

Philip Rooney

Admin

Number of Posts :

What an awesome day! I can't believe it all happened in an hour. Thanks for sharing. 

Mar 17 2020

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks Mark and Phillip.

That was our third trip to Hat and Star in the past year, and our best trip yet in terms of size and fast action.   Each time we have gone, the bite has tended to turn on in short bursts, then it just turns off for 10-12 hours or so.  I believe it has to do with whatever the shad are doing at any given time.  Most of the time the shad are suspended in the deep middle around 10 ft, and I have had zero success trying to catch bass around these shad schools. Have tried everything.  When the shad migrate up shallow, such as to spawn or feed, this seems to trigger the bass into a "roundup" mode.  The water was still 65 deg so I don't think the big females were actually on beds yet, as I also did not see any bloody tails on any of them.   I guess we just have to be there at the right time or wait until the next round to intercept the predators.

Mar 17 2020

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Congrats on the great morning and the big mama! 

Bob