Windy Wednesday at Lake TCU

Mar 11 2020

Paul Prosser

Fry

Number of Posts :

Fished this 12-acre lake for the first time with Kevin Fuller.  Fly fish only. Total number of fish - 19 with 12 culls (under 14"). Kevin had his usual good day on the Bote SUP. His best five fish were probably in the mid-teens (I'll let him report more accurately when he has time).  I had three culls all on bendback clousers, but managed to stick a 2.5 male.  It was windy…I used the Bass Tracker Tadpole that is there at the lake with a trolling motor.  It was not difficult to move around the lake but when I dropped anchor the jon would turn its back to the wind…it was hard to set a good spot because you always turned one way, but it was doable.  I beached the boat and went to the dock, which is real nice - going out about 35-40 feet from the bank.  Caught my fat boy there on a bunny sculpin.  This lake is gonna be hot in the next few days as hens make their way to the banks to make their beds.  And, it is by far the cleanest lake shore-wise of all the ones I've fished in PWF.  Virtually no grass, brush or salad bar along the banks all the way around.  FLY FISHERS TAKE NOTE!!! We met the owner, Dub Nix, and he is a most welcoming and amiable host.  He wants his property to be the "number one" PWF property, and already has plans to increase the size of his grass carp pen.  He has dug a 20-foot trough about 50-60 feet from the shoreline all the way around the lake.  Ladies and gentlemen, I think this property is gonna make y0u happy.

Mar 12 2020

Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

It was a good day and fun to fish a new place.   Of the bass I returned six of them were over 3 pounds.  Solid fish here and this place will only get better as the water warms up.  The culling program will grow these 3 pounders into beasts over the next few years.   Caught 4 really nice bass between the deer and the buffalo just off short about 15 yards.  You'll know what I mean when you fish there.  All of the humps also gave up a good fish or two.  Today they wanted chartreuse and 13 of my 15 fish were caught on a chartreuse half and half and one on a bunny sculpin and one on a home made black wooly bugger.   Mr. Dub is a really great guy and sincerely was interested in helping us out and wanting us to be successful on his lake.  He had three sons who played football at TCU hence the name of the lake.  As an aside he looks just like Santa Claus and in fact he is on occasion.  See picture attached below with his wife who makes a great Mrs. Claus as well.  Great day.  Great place.  Great time.