Brad Evans

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 23196
Property Name : Black Hat
Reservation Date : 03/07/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9; 2-4lbs
Lures Used : Everything

I was excited to see Black Hat added back and took advantage with a trip on Saturday.  The wind was howling and the air temp was 43 when I got there but the fishing was good.  Second cast of the morning resulted in a 4lber off the bank about 10 feet on a white fluke.  All other fish were healthy footballs in the 2-4lb range and all caught on the slowly fished fluke or junebug stick bait.  I think I could have loaded the boat with fish but fighting the 20MPH wind was a beating and I couldn't stay in a spot long enough to fish it thoroughly.  Water temp was 56 on the southeast and east sides up to the point - this is where most of the fish came from.  The water temp in the north end was 53-55 degrees.

What worked: White Zoom Super Fluke - chartreuse dipped tail; Googan Baits Lunker Log Stick - junebug

What didn't work: Chatterbait, crankbait, large swimbait, small swimbait, wacky senko, rattletrap

This week and next will be a great time to get out there.  The fish are just off the bank getting ready to make the next move up shallow.  I used my own boat, but they have a new 2 man boat tied up at the dock that is ready to go.  The dock is in great shape and was nice to take a break from fighting the trolling motor and enjoy a cup of coffee while sitting on the picnic table.

Mar 09 2020

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

How was the water clarity?

Mar 09 2020

Brad Evans

Fry

Number of Posts :

It was better than I expected when I got there but after the strong winds it really churned the water up.  Visibililty is probably 6-8" if I had to guess.  It didn't take long for the lure to disappear.

Mar 09 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Measured with a secchi disk it is 19". 

Mar 09 2020

Brad Evans

Fry

Number of Posts :

Had to Google secchi disk….may need to get one of those on Amazon. haha