David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22734
Property Name : Lake Side
Reservation Date : 01/08/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 0
Lures Used : Everything but topwater

I have never been a good cold water fisherman and yesterday was no exception.

I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful weather with a quick trip to Lake Side, fishing from 11 to 3 or so. The air temp was 48 when I arrived, rising to 55 degrees when I was leaving. The water temperature was 49-50 degrees, the lake being about 2 feet low and a strong 10-12 mph constant wind from the south generated white capped 1 foot swells. There were occasional gusts to 15-20 over the afternoon. The water was gray brown with visibility about 6-12 inches. 

I fished finesse techniques for the first three of hours including a C-rig, Ned rig, shaky head, jig and craw, T rig worm and Wacky rig, hitting all the usual spots around each dock piling, the brush piles and lay downs with no success. Because of the very soft silt bottom, I even tried a Tokyo rig but found no takers. Small chatter baits, swim baits and flat sided crank baits also produced no results. I started out with craw colors and progressed thru watermelon flake and black/blue flake.  For the last hour I focused on the deeper center of the lake but found no bass. 

This was my first trip back to Lakeside since April and the water is much more clear now. It is still strange to me to fish the areas that had been full of Lilly pads in the past. For those who like frog fishing, it was simply fabulous. 

Jan 14 2020

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

David,

Don't be to hard on yourself. Somedays it is not meant to be. You have to have slow days to appreciate the good days. 

Steve