Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22236
Property Name : Spence Lake
Reservation Date : 10/06/2019 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 4.0 lb 2.8lb and 32 culls < 14"
Lures Used : Popper, flukes

The boys and I tried out new Spence Lake Sunday AM 630-11 am.  They had a blast culling 10-14” bass. I made them stop at 32 as that is all I wanted to filet.  We released two others, a 2.8 and a 4.0 lb.  Two biggest on top early dawn.

We caught them on pop-r and jitterbug early until the sun got up good, then switched to white + chartreuse flukes.  Any retrieve worked, dead stick, twitch, or rip it in.  Anything would have probably worked, but I had a fat sack of white flukes so that’s what we used.  I also pulled out the fly rod and popped a few culls until the wind got up.  

We also fished the upper small lake from shore on the way out and caught a quick dozen there.  The numbers there are as high as the big lake. Both of the lakes are crystal clear, vis at 10-12 ft.  Both had ample grass all over bottom and near shore, but plenty of open deep water as well.

For those shore fly fisherman out there, both of these lakes have significant shore access, and plenty of hungry bass near the banks.   These would be a good lakes to build fly fishing and landing skills. Bring a stringer and any big dry flies that look like a dragon fly.  I would suggest wading out to the edge of the moss in 2ft and you should do well with big dries or streamers.   When we cleaned some of the fattest fish they were stuffed with 6 or 8 dragon flies. Pics below. 

For the big boat folks, I launched my 17 ft G3 between the dam and dock in 2WD with no issue.  I do think it might get worse in wet weather but adequate for now.  Covered dock is very nice for lunch. I did meet the owner Ray and his son.  He asked that PWF members not leave any fish mess as other (non-PWF) have in the past. I assured him we are all respectful of these properties.  Nice folks, and I thanked them for the opportunity to fish.  They thanked us for taking away the culls as they are aware of the overpopulation.     

Very nice addition to PWF.    

4lbr released                                               32 culls

gut full of dragon flies!

Oct 07 2019

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Jim,

Informative and well written post. Thanks for being such a great ambassador for the club. Locating and then procurring great places for our members to fish is the secret sauce. Thank you for being respectful, helpful and polite to our landowners. This is huge. Our members are awesome!!!