John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 22114
Property Name : Bennett Lake
Reservation Date : 09/15/2019 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 24 bass / 10 harvested
Lures Used : wacky worms & crankbaits

Ron Dupree and I fished Bennett Lake on Sunday afternoon from 12:30 - 5:30.  Based on our previous trip and a subsequent report, we expected to see some schooling bass but they never materialized.  In fact, we couldn't find the fish on our usual "middle of the lake" spots and caught all of our fish pounding the bank.  We landed 24 bass from 8" - 19"  (10 harvested) but they were unusually picky as to the lure.  20 of the 24 came on very lightly weighted wacky worms.  Fairly slow and no bigger bass but still a fun afternoon.

We witnessed one of the inherent dangers of fishing in lakes with dead standing timber.  Bennett Lake has a number of dead trees on land near the shoreline (some killed by beavers and others dead of unknown cause) and some that have previously fallen into the water are prime casting targets.  We heard a sharp crack and saw a 25 foot tall dead tree about 100 yards away falling into the lake.  It broke into several pieces on the way down.  There was no real wind (barely a breeze) and no warning.  It could have been an ugly scene if a boat had happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sep 16 2019

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hi John,

Roger that on the dangers of standing timber.  Several years ago my brother and I were wind-drifting through the timber on Lake Fork.  We bumped into a rotten tree that fortunately for us, fell the other way, yet unfortunately was filled with about 10,000 swarming yellow jackets. Into the lake for both of us.  We have since given up on that wind-drift technique.   I get nervous at Timber Lake as well.  Massive rotten trees all over.  I dont think my boat would support one if it fell, and hoping I never find out.