Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21814
Property Name : JerMar Lake
Reservation Date : 07/20/2019 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 21 total, 4.9, 4.5, 6@ 2-3lbs, 13 culls<14"
Lures Used : deep rapala, rat trap, popper

I took our family friend and her son as a guest at Jer Mar Saturday afternoon. I had never fished this lake and I had low expectations given the intense heat, and typical mid-July, midday, slow bite.  I was prepared to call success if we were all able to just stay on the water and catch a few dinks.  I must say I was pleasantly surprised with our results and realized I had underestimated the quality of Jer Mar lake. 

We fished at 1-7 pm with the air temps 96 deg, water 86-88, and steady hot winds at 12-15 mph.  Right away I graphed several balls of shad schooled tightly in the central main lake.  Always a good sign when the shad are running scared.  We started picking up a few small bass right away on small spoons and deep rapalas casted long and let fall to 10 ft and quick retrieve.  We were getting fairly regular bites through the afternoon casting and trolling the main lake and through the brush piles. I tried finesse fishing the brush with plastic worms, but no bites at all.  They only wanted fast moving shad type lures.

Later in the afternoon once shadows started forming, the shad moved in closer to the shore rocks and we started picking up nicer fish at 2-4 lbs on poppers and floating rapalas. The biggest fish was just under 5lbs coming on a large bluegill color swim bait. Pics below.

We landed 21 total with 13 unders culled and 8 quality bass released when we quit at 7pm. We did also fly fish the upper ponds on the way out and caught endless hand-sized bluegills to close out the day.         

We had a great time with fairly steady action all afternoon.  I am glad to have access to such a nice lake close to home.  Kudos to the owner for maintaining such a well balanced fishery.

Maddox biggest bass yet.                   Julie had a ball.

Never gets too hot to reel in chunky bass.