PRUITT BROTHERS at DUNLAY LEINWEBER WITH 76 FISH - PHIL CATCHES A HOG! PICS ATTACHED

Jul 08 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Day Friday - July 5th

Fish Start Time - 7 AM

Fish Quit Time - 7 PM

Sack Lunch Grub - Left Over 4th of July Grilled Blue Cheese Burgers (the New Bacon)!

76 Fish Total

One (1) 9+ Pounds

Ten (10) 4+ Pounds

Seven (7) 5+ Pounds

Eighteen (18) 2+ Pounds

40 Fish Culled to Improve the Heard

Water Temp - 85 Degrees

Windy & Hot Conditions

Water Visibility - 4 to 5 Foot

North Shore Line Was the Most Productive

Successful Baits - Big 7 1/8” Bass Pro Stiko’s, Bubble Gum 5” OCHO KVD with coffee scent and salt, & Pumpkin Seed Z Craws

Suggestion for When You Fish Leinweber - Bring a Push Pole/Paddles to Get Boat Launched Through the Vegetation

“no need to read any further unless you like big fish stories”

Had all my Houston area family over for Thursday July 4th festivities. Everyone ate too much and enjoyed the holiday from work. After spending quality time with family, the afternoon had us on commute from the South East (Deer Park) side of Houston, spending the night in Hondo, Texas at a local motel. Very little traffic getting to Hondo with it being Independence Day (Home of the FREE Because of the BRAVE)! Phil slept fine, I got less than 3 hours of sleep from binge watching Kevin Costner in the Yellowstone series on my IPad.

7/5/19 Friday a short 12 mile commute from Hondo launching the boat at Dunlay Leinweber at 7:00 AM. Weather forecast shows no rain - hot - windy.

Launching the boat:

Tried launching Phil’s’ 16 foot aluminum bass tracker boat equipped with a 90 thrust Fortrex trolling motor at the designated launch areas with no luck. With water levels a little down there was no way to float the boat. Vegetation all the way around the lake but plenty of open water. Had to launch off the dam on some incline to get boat to float. Brought a push pole just in case it was needed to get off the bank into deeper water. It was needed. A member highly suggested that we bring one after his trip several weeks back. Thanks for your tips on the lake. Got the boat launched and went to work doing what we do. 12 grueling hours of non-stop fishing with a whole 5 - minute lunch break. Choked down a Grilled Blue Cheese Burger and got back to it. We were looking for that double digit fish that won this year’s big bass contest. She’s got to be around here somewhere. Think we will need some ibuprofen before the day is over.

NOW FOR THE BIG FISH STORY:

We began throwing soft plastics right off the bat on the west side about 30 yards from shoreline near the dam. Phil stuck his biggest fish of the day (over 9 pounds) in this area at right away at 7:48 AM on some tree stumps. Here is where the fish story I mentioned pertains. Phil had put a new reel on his new rod and forgot to make the necessary tension and drag adjustments to it because he was all excited about this new lake. So he throws to the tree stumps (Z Craw Carolina) and his mono line does what mono line does when it free spools. What a mess he remarked but not exactly in those terms. So he spends 10 minutes cleaning up the mess with that bait still sitting on the bottom. You know the rest of the story……..once he got that bird nest cleaned up he started reeling in the line to find a big green surprise on the other end. He laughed all day about the definition of fishing real/reel slooooooooowwwwwww. Only my brother can do this and it turn out positive. It has never worked for me. This not something I have taught him. Congratulations bro! I was thinking about telling everyone how your skill, technique and sheer angling talent paid off. However, I believe the truth is more entertaining. Truth be known, this has actually happened for Phil on two other big fish occasions this year. Just saying. Of course he was throwing a Z Craw Pumpkin Seed bait Carolina set up on all 3 occasions. What a chunk on this day (see the attached photo) measuring in at 25 inches in length.

Not much structure in this lake, just two tree stump areas that we could find - the rest is wide open. We circled the shoreline throwing to the edge of the vegetation with lots of success. I have attached a photo of our GPS track screen. Those of you that know what that is, it represents lots of boat movement circling around and around covering lots of water. Deeper water proved to have little success all day. Sure wanted the square bills or rattle traps to produce deep but no positive results at all. Deep water areas on the west end of the lake runs 12 to 14 feet deep consistently. I am also attaching a photo of the lake around the perimeter where you can see the vegetation. Don’t be discouraged about this, again there is plenty of fishable water on the lake - the only challenge is punching threw to get to the fishable waters. Don’t suggest anyone trying to troll motor through it………unnecessary strain on the motor and batteries. Bring a push pole & paddles ……………. expect a little vegetation on most of club lakes, summer is upon us. This lake has jumped to the top of our 2020 Spring Big Fish Lakes. We will be back.  

And this last photo happens to be big fish man for the day. Phil is proudly representing the PWF club with a tee shirt and hat up against the car as we prepare to make the Trek back to Houston. He loves this club. Some folks live to fish, Phil fishes to live. I’m just there to document it and chauffeur.

Another Memory Made - Another One to Make

Wayne & Phil (The Pruitt Bro’s)

Jul 08 2019

Jason Owens

Fry

Number of Posts :

Awesome report!  I will be going back there on July 27th.  I will be fishing with my brother.  He has fished with me as a guest before and im trying to convince him to join the club.  Hopefully this trip will push him over the edge.  I will grab some bubblegum senkos for sure.  

Also,  Where can I get a PWF hat?

Jul 08 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Jason,

Thanks, and good luck on the 27th. By then there will be more vegetation so be sure to take a push pole/paddles. Plenty of fishable water still. We really like this club lake. Wish were able to fish that area more. It's around a 5 hour ride one way - we would be there more often if it was inside 3 hours. Miss Keri at PWF can sell and ship you as many hats as you want I believe. My brother bought several at one of the member culling fish fry events last year. 

Send send BIG FISH PICS on the 27th!

Jul 10 2019

David Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great fish, even better story telling! You might just be the Kevin Costner of PWF. He can spin a good yarn and has done so with that Yellowstone series.

Jul 11 2019

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Wayne,

Lots of great memories you guys have created. Your reports, fishing acumen, determination and attitude are legendary with PWF. Thanks for being such a huge supporter of the club and I love that you guys catch fish and big fish at so many of our properties. 

Jul 11 2019

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Jason,

We have a few more colors at the office. Cole can send you a pick of them. The cost is $25 which includes shipping. 

Steve

Jul 11 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

David,

Thanks for the Costner comparison….........LOL. Glad you enjoyed our report. I try to provide tips, details, facts in a format that is interesting to the members. I could just give the catch results and baits used but that is just too impersonal. I am sure some probably think it is way too much information and others think hey this is entertaining. I try to find a balance. And to be honest there is a certain degree of a motivating effort to encourage the members to get out and fish. No fish is caught unless there is a bait wet. The longer the bait is wet and in the water the better your chances are on catching numbers and big fish.

The biggest challenge at this point is where do we go next. We want it to be a club lake that has potential in producing the elusive double d my brother has yet to catch. We are trying to map out our next trip around a new moon so we have some thinking to do. Best to you on your fishing adventures.

Wayne

Jul 11 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Mr. Steve,

Yes Sir, this club membership has produced some amazing memories for us two fishing knuckle heads and for that we will always be grateful. Fishing is the one thing that brings us together. We call our fishing quest "Doing the Texas Tour". Our membership since Spring of 2017 has literally had us all over the state of Texas and even Oklahoma. We have seen some beautiful ranch properties and lakes that otherwise would have forever been a mystery.

Phil has gotten so competitive about it all, I am having to work tremendously hard to keep up with him. Sometimes a smack talking little brother is a little hard to take LOL. Take it do…................I taught him too well.

When we launch on a lake, we have in our minds already pre-determined what the outcome of the day will produce. We then just put in the effort to make it reality. It does not always work out that way though. If we have a bad day, we lick our wounds and simply determine to do better on the next trip. We feel like we are not only disappointing ourselves with a bad results day, but also disappointing the other members. 

Jul 11 2019

David Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

Yes sir. I thoroughly enjoy your commentary. Keep them coming. I have immense confidence in your brother achieving DD status. You guys are doing all the right things. I guess if I had any advice it would be to take what we learned in your story about backlashes on a Carolina rig. That bait sat there for a long time doing virtually nothing and then created a strike from a big fish, so the moral is “ if you think you are fishing slow, then slow down some more”. Your story is a great teachable moment, thanks again for sharing. 

If I were guiding your brother I would go to Yates cuz it has the most big fish per acre they are just finicky. 

Dogwood when it’s over 100• and I think Marshall gets overlooked and the people that catch big fish out there don’t talk about it much. 

You seem to know more about the southern lakes than I do so I won’t comment but if I can ever help you feel free to get my cell number from the PFW staff. 

I’ve been on the business end of an axe handle like that scene in Yellowstone. Maybe we will try that on some fish! 

Jul 11 2019

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

David,

That is likely the big three lakes for catching double digits. I would add two others that are not talked about as much. Gilmer Hat and Star and Laneville Hidden Springs. Hidden Springs has produced at least 10 fish over 9 lbs and several over 10 lbs in the last 2 years. IMO, it is likely the best value in the club. If you have not fished Hidden Springs in the last two years, it fishes much different than it did 8 years ago when we started. You need to bring your own boat. And there is a concrete boat ramp. 

Jul 11 2019

David Curtis

Fry

Number of Posts :

The reality is that “ you could” catch one at any of the PWF lakes. A few of the lakes in the club certainly stack the odds in favor of the fisherman. We appreciate that about your organization Steve

I have heard many great things about Lane. I have friends who grew up in Henderson and they know the owners and had an opportunity to fish there. 

I’m embarrassed to say, I haven’t been out there.

I appreciate the reminder!