Harrison Papaila

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21313
Property Name : Pecan Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 05/18/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 14/ mostly dinks
Lures Used : weightless senko

Fished sunrise to 1:30 on Saturday, May 18th with a buddy. With big storms in the forecast for the afternoon, we expected to have a great day. Surprisingly, the water was gin clear despite the heavy rains over the last couple weeks. Started the day with topwater, spinners, and chatterbaits with no success. It took me a bit longer than I care to admit to find a pattern that worked. The bass were all hunkered down in submerged vegetation, about 25 feet from the bank, in about 8 ft of water. Nothing up shallow. Once we located the submerged grasslines, we were able to pull a few bass out using plastics. Ripping chatterbaits and lipless cranks through the grass didn't work. The bass only wanted a slow senko. We caught 12 dinks, one 2.5 pounder, and a nice 5.33 pounder (skinny, post-spawn). Winds and lightning forced us off the lake around 1. The lake is filled to the brim with carp. Conservatively, we saw 50 carp in the southern third of the lake. Saw another 10-15 along the eastern bank. Many of them were 3 ft. or longer. An experienced bow fisherman could have a heyday out here. Foul hooked a large smooth soft shell turtle through the foot with a superline 4/0 EWG rigged weedless with a creature bait. Was able to remove the hook, but have no idea how I managed to snag him in the first place.