Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 21319
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 05/18/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10
Lures Used : Chatterbait & Senko

I fished Pecan Gap on 5/18/19.  What a fun place to fish.  I arrived at sunup.  The rain did not start until 10:00am, but despite the favorable conditions, I only caught one cull prior to the rain start.  After the rain started at 10:00, the storm cell developed cloud to ground lightning and I had to exit the lake.  After unloading the boat, I stood on the dock in the driving rain for about 20 minutes and caught a 5.40 and 7.02 from under the dock.  Then good sense took over and I took shelter in my vehicle and left for lunch in Gainesville.  After a 2.5 hour break and the end of the lightning, I returned to the lake.  Promptly caught a 4.26, again from the dock, plus another cull near the dock.  The rain ended, so I got back on the boat and worked the lake, catching three more between 2.5 and 3.2 in the timber line.  The wind blew me back to the dock and at about 5:00, I caught a 6.82, again from right next to the dock.  Went back to the timberline, with no luck, decided to end the day at 7:30, with a few more casts at the dock and caught a 3.4 to end the day.  I am no expert, but to this layman, this lake appears to be very well-managed.  The bass, even in their post-spawn condition, are fat, fight hard and seem to be heavy for their length.  The 7.02 was 22 1/4 inches, a little short for that weight per TPWD chart.  The aquatic vegetation is healthy, but balanced, and not out of control (at least currently!).  There is forage everywhere.  I was able to briefly visit with the owner and he saw me catch the 6.82, which was pretty cool because he seems pretty devoted to this lake and really wants people to catch big fish.  Finally, the 7.02 had an anchor tag by the dorsal fin.  It looked pretty old and if there was a number on it, I could not read it.  If the data is being monitored, it is:  7.02lbs, 22 1/4 inches, 10:56am, 5/18/19, main dock.  If, however, this is some type of tagged contest fish, let me know where to collect my prize. 

Jun 06 2019

Darren Speed

Fry

Number of Posts :

Greg,

Did they have the feeders running?

Darren

Jun 06 2019

Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Hi Darren, yes, the feeders were running during my visit and there was lots of bluegill activity by the feeders when they went off.

Jun 06 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Great report! Sounds like an awesome day (except for the lightning!) Thanks for sharing.