William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20747
Property Name : 9G Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/27/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 54 total 1.5-7.1
Lures Used : Top Water/Senko/Ole Mama

Started with a spinner bait and caught several 2-3 lb bass before 8 AM.  Switched to a Whopper Plopper and it was unreal.  I caught 11 bass between 5-7 lb 1 hour.  Just before that crazy hour, the wind picked up to 20+ and it started raining.  The whopper plopper was hard to even see because the waves were so high.  I'm not sure what that storm did, but they went into a feeding frenzy.  That lasted for about an hour and I couldn't get them off the hook fast enough.  They were jumping out of the water to hit it.  They were definitely schooling.  I also caught my first fish of the year on a black frog.  It was a nice 4 lber.  Never had a day like that.  Everything worked.  Everything.  I ended up leaving around 3 or so, but I caught 54 between day light and when I departed.  Only 10 or so were under 14".  Great lake, still my favorite. 

Apr 29 2019

John Jones

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Great report, William! I almost requested to join you that day. You could say i am kicking myself now!! Love the top water bite there. They are some great fighters! Congrats on the great day!

Apr 29 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

William,

Congrats from Wayne & Phil on a great day! Shayne told me Saturday evening that you had an EPIC day at 9G. That is a huge 5 fish sack when you pick out the best 5. The only way it could have possibly been better is if we had been there with you to enjoy that insane top water bite! We had one of those days at San Saba where the whopper plopper temporarily ruled. What a day and great job buddy! And in a kayak makes it even more special…................

Apr 29 2019

William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Wayne,  good to see your two recent posts.  We have to get together again, had a blast last time and still wearing that hat you gave us, along with the water bottle.

I've never experienced what I experienced Saturday.  The wind and rain came from no where and I almost thought about going to my truck, but I put down my kayak's power pole and it was a frenzy that I've only experienced once in my in my life and that was on Lake Chickamauga.  Wish you guys could have been there, it was a blast to say the least.  I came home with a raw, bleeding thumb and told my wife I hope I need first aid the next time I go.  

We need a summer fishing trip with the Pruitt brothers.

Apr 29 2019

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Maybe we can meet you at 9G one of these weekends before it gets too hot…................sorry to hear about your bleeding thumb - NOT LOL! I only have one question….......were they still biting when you left? Lets get it planned out soon my friend and our fishing hero! 

Apr 29 2019

William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

That would work for me, just let me know.  I'm open to coming down there too.  I'm down there for work quite a bit.  

They never really stopped biting, but from 9-11:30, it was nuts.  I caught a fish on every cast for 11 straight.  I couldn't get them off the hook fast enough.  I weighed a couple and took a couple of pictures, but I was anxious to get my line back out there.  I think there are a ton of 4-7 lbs bass in the lake, but I'm not sure there are Heartland size bass out there.  They don't allow you to harvest and while I caught some small stuff, they were all fat and healthy.  

Just before I left, I was up in a cove on the north end of the lake.  I saw a huge bass about 4 feet deep that was following my Whopper Plopper.  He/she would have been the biggest bass I caught on Saturday, maybe ever, but I couldn't get him to bite.  That was around 2 PM.  I tried a senko, spinner bait and a Big Ole Mama in that general area.  I wish I would have hooked it, I would make it my profile picture and lit a cigar in your honor.

Bill

May 01 2019

John Hufstedler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Great report!! Now I've got the 9G fever.  I'm fishing the lake on the 19th of this month.  I'd be happy with 1/4 of what you caught.