Less Than Anticipated

Apr 09 2019

Gary Gehring

Fry

Number of Posts :

Fished Slaughter Lake for 1/2 day, PM. Being it was a new club lake (assumed not too much fishing pressure), and the write up for the lake indicated a large fish population, I had anticipated catching a large quantity of fish (I was ready to slay them). My fishing partner and I gave the lake our best effort and we each managed to catch 8 fish, about 1/2 of which were very nice size (2.5 to 5 pound range)—- counting the fish we did not manage to 'boat'. The other 1/2 of the fish tended to be closer to 'dink' size and were culled. I found out the lake had been fished the previous day, so I guessed that these folks must have done better—- not. The lake, as stated in the other folks report, had visibility of probably 6" (brown colored). The majority of the lake is pretty shallow without much vegetation. I kept thinking that there must be fish around the submerged tress—- my partner managed to catch a couple among the trees, but I caught none. All of my fish and the majority of his were close to the bank. I think plastic lizards were probably the most productive bait. I caught a couple on a white in-line spinner (small). I also caught 1 crappie (very tiny). Did not fish for catfish, but this might be a good catfish lake. 

Apr 10 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report. Gary. I look forward to fishing there soon.

Apr 10 2019

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Electo fishing results put this lake in the top 25% of all lakes we surveyed last year. Likely in the top 3 of all new club lakes we added last year. Someone will catch them. The fish are there. It will turn on and someone is going to have a great day catching 4 and 5 lb bass. 

Jun 05 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I hope that “someone” is me.