David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20619
Property Name : Beaver Lake
Reservation Date : 03/20/2019 AM - 03/20/2019 AM
Total Fish/Sizes : 5 all about 1 lb
Lures Used : spinnerbait, crankbait

Fished Beaver Lake this morning. Five fish total, each about a pound on green over white 2" squarebill crankbait and white 1/4 oz spinnerbait with a single Colorado blade.

Arrived at 7:20 with a still and calm morning, the pond like glass...for about half an hour, Then the air temperature dropped from 51 to 48 with the onset of an 8-10 mph north wind, the final air temp 55 at noon. Cloudy with occasional sun peaking through. Surface water temperature was 52 degrees and water green tinged with visibility 2 feet. The water level is "normal" now, clearly having been at least five feet higher in the past month or so based on the debris left behind. 

I immediately began bank fishing on arrival to minimize the noise pollution at sun up as it was so still and worked the northwest corner of the pond, landing my first fish before 8 am on the spinnerbait. After the wind picked up I elected to simply continue to bank fish and worked the entire west band from the creek in the southern corner to the northeast side near the  duck blind. Fish were 10-20 yards off shore in the vegetation which was already within 2 feet of the surface, the only clear pattern the preference for the crankbait. 

There was no topwater bite on buzzbait, whopper plopper, zara spook or frog. There was no T-rigged worm or craw bite and all I caught on chatter bait and rattletrap was Milfoil and filamentous algae. I did not try swimbaits above the Milfoil.

Still, a great day fishing on a very attractive pond. Thanks Steve and PWF. 

Mar 21 2019

J.D. Danielson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Five fish is alot better than zero right? The place looks really good I've been thinking of trying it out since it's closer to where I live!! That squarebill has been producing some good fish early this year.