Numbers at Waterboo 3/17/2019

Mar 18 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Took my son and a friend of his to Waterboo on Sunday afternoon.

Caught 36 between 1lb and 2lbs.  No big ones but lots of action and they are mean little chunks.  Most fish came on trigged senkos in various colors both with a weight and unweighted.  Long point by the mouth of the creek was the ticket.  Other baits were red lipless cranks, red SB's and chatterbait (green pumpkin)

Sunny, low 60's and a little breezy.  Fun lake to fish in a pretty setting.  Great place to bring kids or new fishermen.  This was our 2nd trip to Waterboo and we caught as many as we did on our first trip in early November.

Side note: does anyone have another "senko" brand they like.  The senkos work but they don't last very long.  They get torn up and begin to slide down the hook.  At the end of the trip I think we cleaned out about $30 worth of used senkos from the bottom of the boat.  I have tried Yum Dingers and they seem a little hardier but I think the Senko outfishes them.  I have some Wave Tiki Stiks on order.

Mar 18 2019

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Try the Z-man Zinkerz.  You can find them on tacklewarehouse.

Mar 18 2019

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

There is something about those Yamamoto senko's.  It might be mental, but i also feel like the Yamamoto has better results. 

Mar 18 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks Danny.  I might try the Zmans    Like you, the Senko is a confidence bait for me.  It just seems like I’m putting a new one on after a couple fish or hang ups.

There is a Senko discussion on TFF going on right now and a couple guys suggested the BPS brand called the Stik-o. 

I’ve got a few bags of the Wave tiki sticks coming and will be using them at Heartland in a few weeks.  

Thanks for the suggestion.   

Mar 19 2019

Sandy L. Embry

Fry

Number of Posts :

When it comes to fishing lures I am notedly cheap as most fishing lures are designed to catch fisherman!  On these rubber stick type baits I always make sure and use both ends of the bait.  When one end gets shredded  I flip it around and use the other end.  When that gets shredded I then rig it "wacky" and hook it in the middle.  Then at least in my own mind I have cut the price by two-thirds.

Mar 19 2019

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Chris, you might also try using a screw lock hook, instead of the traditional worm hook.  Not all the time, but sometimes i can get a extra fish or two using the screwlock style hook.  When T rigging.   I feel it just hold the bait in place a little more firmly and securely, and after several casts with the screwlock the bait won't slide down the hook,  like it does with a traditional worm hook.

Mar 19 2019

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Note that the Zman baits will last along time, I use them myself (great baits), but because of their formula they cannot be stored in or with other regular plastics (Plano or other brand boxes, or other brand plastic baits). Over time they will melt the other brand baits or storage boxes! 

Bob

Mar 31 2019

Glen Armstrong

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Have you tried using a rubber ring around the middle of the Senko and placing the hook under ring instead of in the bait ?

Apr 01 2019

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

The Yamamoto Senko's are not cheap, and they do not last as long as other brands, no doubt. My personal experience is that there isn't a huge difference in brands other than the amount of salt they put in them. More salt & less plastic will give you a softer bait typically, while less salt & more plastic gives you a stiffer bait. Also keep in mind that when you are having to change soft plastics or adjust or fix them on your hook, that is less time you are spending fishing.

I like to throw the Big Bite Trick Sticks, I can usually catch 2-3x more fish on a single bait vs. softer competitors.

(25) Count Packs $6.99:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Big_Bite_Baits_Trick_Stick_25pk/descpage-BBBTRSB.html?from=Google&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7YblBRDFARIsAKkK-dLU2bYYv-t6HYMCAp7Yl3KcNH_xkE82qA2wQXwL0jt_eHl6QxOewmEaAsdMEALw_wcB

Apr 01 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I haven't tried Z-man baits or the Big Bite Trick Sticks yet, but I love the Yum Dinger. Much more durable than the Senko and avail in every color, and often on sale. I stocked up recently at Academy Sports for $1.99 per 10-pack. Can't beat that! I fished a new lake with a buddy recently - we threw about everything in the box - caught 28 - 24 on Yum Dingers. The wife and I both caught our PB biggest fish on Yum Dingers. It's hard for us to fish anything else now…

Apr 01 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the wealth of info guys.  Glenn, when I wacky rig I don't use a rubber ring but maybe that would help.

I tried some owner screw locks this past weekend as Danny mentioned and they help hold the bait on the hook better for sure.  I also used some wave tiki sticks and they seem good to.

Will keep experimenting.  Thanks for the feedback!

Apr 01 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I seldom rig stick worms Texas-style, having had much better luck fishing them wacky-style. Rather than use an O-ring, which leaves the hook parallel to the length of the worm, or two O-rings, which (to me) takes too long to rig, I use shrink tubing. The 3/8" size is perfect for the 5" Senko worms. I buy the stuff at Home Depot and, before fishing, I cut them up into lengths of about 3.8" inch. To rig them, I push the narrow end of the worm through the tubing and pinch it with my hand. I then stretch the worm (gently, so as to not break it) so the tubing slides easily up toward the "egg sack." Position the tubing so the worm and tubing are balanced at the tubing - usually, this will be at the narrow end of the "egg sack." Then I put my weedless wacky hook through the center of the worm and both sides of the tubing. Rigged this way, I have caught as many as 45 bass on the same Senko. I don't have an answer for T- or C-rigging, though. Hope this can help some of you folks.

Apr 01 2019

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Awesome tip, Tom! Thanks. I gotta try that.

Apr 01 2019

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Good stuff Tom.  Thank you.