Friday, Mar 8th - Martins Mill - Lake Side (tough sledding, landed 1 fish but it was an interesting story)

Mar 10 2019

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Wife and I stayed in the cabin on Thursday night and fished much of the day on Friday.  Faced 16 to 17 MPH S/SSE winds again.  Water temps were 49 to 52 degrees.  Water clarity is down to 6 inches now on this lake.  I know there are some good fish in this lake - but given the conditions, they were tight-lipped.  I hooked one on a green pumpkin T-Rig curly tail to the S of the cabin about halfway to the point.  She fought and pulled hard and never surfaced - she was a good 5 or 6 lber.  So, after fishing the entire lake we came back and then my wife hooked into a fish at the exact same spot (probably same fish).  This time on a paddletail swimbait.  Same result - fought her but this time she surfaced and yeah probably a 5 or 6.  Spit the bait - Pam didn't have a great hookset on that one.  Then hooked a good one on a football jig right near the fence line S of the cabin.  Broke off immediately.  This was after I just broken off on some brush and retied.  I was really, really confused by this (FYI - I tossed the reminder of that line, but it has actually been cared for).  And concerned that the fish might have a mouth full of metal at this point in time.  We continued to work the area - then finally wife hooked and landed a nice 4lb 8oz'er.  As I was unhooking it - I see just a few little strands of green coming from down the throat of the fish.  I say, "That's my jig!".  Then the strands disappeared completely - I decided to give it a shot and gently inserted my needle-nose into her throat and voila!  She just opened up her throat and my 3/4 oz football jig and craw trailer popped right out.  We thanked the fish and I'm pretty sure she thanked us!  Tough day, but you gotta give it a shot!