Poor execution and lessons learned at 6-0, Reservation 20309

Feb 27 2019

Jack Crisler

Fry

Number of Posts :

Fished 6-0 on February 26th. Got to the dock at around 0700, installed electronics and trolling motor on the fiberglass boat. In the water by 0730. Weather was not as forecast, it was 50, cloudy (no sun) with drizzle and a constant wind of 10-15 mph (supposed to be calm to 5 mph gusts), water temp below 49 degrees. Well, I had a plan with the wind and cold to locate areas of cover (grass, hydrilla, structure) and anchor to preserve the battery. I was rotating wacky rigged senkos in the vegetation, dropping a spinning bait on medium depth structure, a square bill crank bait bumping it off structure and a variety of Texas rigged trick tails off the bottom, structure and in vegetation. Made it about half way around the lake and went to the truck for a heater and lunch. After lunch I headed up the left bank towards the dam, and caught the only fish which was harvested. Caught on a black tricktail, TX rigged, on the grass line. Then the battery died, lucky I was up wind and used it mother nature to push me towards the dock, assisted by a paddle and some quick rowing I got in a workout. I was out of the water before 1 pm.

Some lessons I have learned about this lake. 1) It is always more windy than the forecast, I think it is the surrounding geography. 2) Always bring two trolling motor batteries, 3) Always bring an anchor with you to this lake, there are many location that you can centrally anchor and throw different baits and techniques to different cover and structure - and save battery life. Finally, 4) fishing in February is still enjoyable, but can be frustrating.

JC