Slow But Good at Martins Mill

Feb 27 2019

Larry Jordan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Lakeside at Martins Mill definitely looked different on Tuesday than I had ever seen it before. To begin with, the visibility was about a foot on the north end and maybe two feet on the south. This lake is usually pretty clear. A couple of the few laydowns in the lake had moved around a bit, which may be an indication that the water has been high at some point this winter. At the moment, the lake is full with water right up to the grass around the launch area. No mud to deal with in launching. Water temp was 52 degrees and never got above 53 all day. As I guess you would expect, the lily pads are all gone, but there are some scattered patches of grass, mostly on the west side. Factor all of this in, along with persistent drizzle for the first hour or so and the chilly air temp, my expectations were pretty low. I expected a slow day, and it was. However, they say that a day like that may produce only a few bites, but they can be good ones. And they were. I fished for roughly 6 hours, and got four bites all day. Fortunately I caught all four, with three of the four going 4.8, 5.9, and 8.3. The bigger one definitely made the day. All were caught on a white chatterbait in 2-3 feet of water and in or near the scattered grass.  My conclusion about the day: at times slow can be good!

Feb 27 2019

J.D. Danielson

Fry

Number of Posts :

One of my favorite properties, definitely looks different with all the dirt work that's been done and I'm pretty sure that accounts for how dirty the water is there right now. Sounds like it was still well worth the trip, good day!!