Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20234
Property Name : Timber Lake
Reservation Date : 02/24/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : six: 5.6, 3.6,3.4, 3@14" culls
Lures Used : streamer fly, soft plastic, crank

First trip as PWF member.  Took my 11yr old to Timber Lake on Sunday.  Great secluded property with abundant wildlife.  We saw a massive trophy whitetail at the gate with 8 does. 

Water temp 48-51 deg. Stained water with 2 ft vis.  North wind at 0730 was chilly at 10-12 mph and 36F.  Bite was occasional while fighting the wind all morning. Wind died and pressure rose to 30.4 inHg around midday.  The bite completely stopped after about 1 pm until dusk on glassy calm water. 

Landed the biggest fish, 5.6lb, on 3rd cast from launch with the sink tip flyrod using my flame-headed shad streamer, later got a 3.4 as well (see fly pic).  I had only tied two of these and broke them both off in the timber, so I dropped the fly rod and we slow cranked plastic the rest of the day.  We did get one 3.6 on an orange square bill, but all other bites were slow crawl in 8-12 ft. Bites were either near dam or on main point in heavy timber.  No bites in either creek arm.  Tried topwater in eve on glassy calm. Nada.  Not a single splash or ripple til dusk.

Otherwise Sam and I had great day and great first trip.