David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20272
Property Name : Twin Lakes
Reservation Date : 02/13/2019 PM - 02/13/2019 PM
Total Fish/Sizes : 10/ 1.5 to 5.6 lb
Lures Used : square lip and wacky rigged senko, black w blue flake

Club member Tom Dillon and I fished Ben Wheeler Twin lakes from noon to dusk. It was a beautiful clear day with light clouds developing in the afternoon. Tom boated 6 fish including a 5.6 pounder while I caught 4, the fish all appearing healthy and fat, 1.5-3 pounds. Square billed crankbaits green over white and wacky rigged black senko's the only producers. 

The details:

Both lakes are full, water clarity 18-36" with tea stained water. We fished the East lake noon to 3 pm with temp 52-53 degrees and the west later in the day 54 degrees dropping to 51 degrees at dusk. Vegetation is covering most of the bottom in water less than 5-6 feet with no emergent vegetation yet. Wind was southern at 8-10 mph. 

East Lake: We launched at noon and Tom immediately caught his 5+ fish on a square bill 20 yards off the dam. The rest of the afternoon on East Lake was not productive. 

West Lake: we caught 9 fish between 3:45 and 5:30 or so, initially on squarebills working around the edges, points and reeds. Moving to the flats about 4:45 a weightless black senko worked well with Tom boating three fish in 5 minutes.

What worked: 2-21/2 " squarebilled crankbait green over white, black senko w blue flake wacky rigged, weightless. 

What didn't: white chatterbait, spinnerbait, buzzbait, jig-craw, T-rigged worm, paddletail swimbait, popper, lipless crankbait, underspin, double fluke rig, jerk bait. 

This is a beautiful PWF property and I would encourage everyone to fish it if they have the chance!

Feb 14 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

It was a fun afternoon. I would never have believed that we'd boat 10 nice bass during a February afternoon! Great partner, great property, great club! Thanks, again, y'all.

Feb 15 2019

Kit Carson

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Great report guys. i really like Twin lakes. How deep does the square bill run you were using?

Feb 15 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

4-5 feet with the rod up and a steady retrieve. We tended to fish them with 3-4 reel turns then a pause to let it float up a bit but not surface.  Often hit on the floating up phase

Feb 15 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

4-5 feet with the rod up and a steady retrieve. We tended to fish them with 3-4 reel turns then a pause to let it float up a bit but not surface.  Often hit on the floating up phase

Feb 15 2019

Kit Carson

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thanks. I need to be better at fishing shallow cranks and square bills. I give up too quickly.