Bruce Prindle

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19968
Property Name : Timber Lake
Reservation Date : 02/01/2019 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 2/3 lb
Lures Used : Worm

When your temp gauge says 44.5, you know the fish are going to be lethargic.  Timber Lake was a welcome sight after three months of hibernation from fishing.  I could tell that the rains of the fall had had an effect on the water color, but I found lots of healthy grass in spite of the cold temps.  I had three bites, boated two fish.  They didn't want jigs, jerkbaits, wacky worms, deep cranks, or anything else.  I finally got a bite on a TxRig worm and all three bites came only on that.  Everything came deep, and as usual this time of year, the creeks yielded nothing, even though they were two degrees warmer than the main lake.  When they predicted 5-10 mph wind, they exaggerated.  Most of the day the water was like a mirror.

The highlight was the multiple overflights of geese.  HUNDREDS of Canada Geese and a few dozen Snows came right over, leaving the lodge property next door.  The morning flight lasted a solid hour and in the afternoon, the same initial group returned.  I heard them before I saw them and at some point, was acting like a kid.  In fact, I was so enamored with them that I bumped a rod and reel over the side!  Made for an expensive day, and if you had seen me, you would have supposed that I was dragging for a body!  SO, if you catch a nice combo in 12' of water, just be sure and call it your "goose rod" when you use it!

Welcome back, Timber Lake!