Tough day at Triple J or "You'd be surprised how far you can throw a spinner bait with a 20 mph tailwind!"

Jan 23 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 20183
Property Name : Triple J Ranch
Reservation Date : 01/21/2019 PM - 01/21/2019 PM
Total Fish/Sizes : 0
Lures Used : spinnerbait, rattletrap, chatter bait, crank bait, beetle spin, Jig and craw, T-rigged worms

Fished Monday afternoon at Triple J without success. Cold and windy day with muddy water and white caps on the pond. Boat was unmanageable in the wind and I went to bank fishing from about 1:30 pm onward. Caught no fish and had no strikes. 

The particulars:

Arrived at noon, on the water by 12:15 in the aluminum V-hulled jon boat. Air temp 53-57 degrees, wind 20-22 sustained from SSE, cloudy with occasional clearing. Water temp 44-47 degrees, muddy with 6" visibility. No significant vegetation save the moss on the bottom at 3 feet or less depth. Pond is full with 14 foot depths by Humminbird.

Impossible to control the boat. Even with my two 10 lb mushrooms off the bow and my trolling motor at 20 % the drift in the wind and white caps made fishing a spot impossible. I tried going to the south end and using the drift to sort of troll the deeper water without and bite. I went to bank fishing by 1:30 or so. 

I fished the east and south banks heavily with no strikes. I left at sundown. 

The road in is in good shape and the lock worked well. The boat is in fine shape. 

I tried small and large, dark and light: spinner-bait, crank-bait, chatter-bait, rattletrap, beetlespin, jig and craw and T-rigged worms without success. 

However, this is a great property and one I will certainly fish again!

Jan 24 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Sorry you blanked out, Dave, but it still beats working!

Jan 24 2019

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Absolutely true!

And the "skunk smell' is not so bad in the wind.

Jan 24 2019

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Hahahahaha! You bet!