James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19845
Property Name : Indian Hollow Ranch
Reservation Date : 11/17/2018 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 33/4.49
Lures Used : white spinnerbait

Member Darryl Stratton and I headed to Oklahoma to cure our bass fishing fever, but the fever only got partially cured.  Thought it would be a good day; forecast called for 70 degrees with 5-10 mph winds, and an approaching cold front.  But the fish just were not interested.  We caught a bunch of little ones (10 inches) and harvested 20 fish.  We had 13 over 14" (most barely over), with the largest being 4.49 that Darryl caught early on a clear Yellow Magic.  That fish, like most of the fish for the day, hit that topwater so lightly that it didn't even make a splash (how is that possible??).  But that was the story for the day - very light hits.  The wind was calm at sunrise, but rather than 5-10 it rapidly increased to 20-25 during the day.  Even fishing out of my boat, the wind made for a tough day.

The lake was full, temps ranged from 51-55 degrees, and water clarity was 5-6 feet.  We tried different sizes, lures, colors, shapes, but the only real producer was a white spinner bait.  We caught 90% of the fish on that.

Not your average day on Indian Hollow, but still a good time and great to get out on a 70 degree day.  

Nov 19 2018

Murrie Holland

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for your report, James.

Did your trusted Bone colored Livingston Pro Sizzle make an appearance up in Sooner Country?

Nov 19 2018

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Absolutely!   Tried it for about the first 20 minutes, but nothing touched it.  I know that the battery in it is still working, because the tail lights up red, so the transmitter should still be doing it's thing.  I'm not surprised that we struggled with topwaters in the 51 degree water.  Saw lots of fish in brush piles with my electronics, but no deep fish on t-rigs, c-rigs, or deep diving cranks.   The white spinnerbait bite would only work on a very sloooooow retrieve.  Sometimes the fish just aren't in a feeding mood.