Reeling 'em in at Hickory Creek

Nov 15 2018

Alfred Burns

Fry

Number of Posts :

I took a guest to Hickory Creek Ranch on the 6th of November. We arrived right at daybreak in the midst of a heavy fog. The grass was really wet so we figured we best not drive to the back lake and were satisfied with fishing the front lake by the pavilion. We brought along an electric trolling motor and battery for their Jon boat on site. Walking up to the Jon boat we were greeted by an annoyed Cotton Mouth that had taken up residence in the tall grass. Any sleepiness from the drive was jolted out of our systems at that point. After shewing away our new found buddy with a boat paddle we got loaded up and headed directly across the lake into the fog.

The fog turned into a real blessing and didn't lift till after 11:00 that morning. We went straight to soft plastics on a Drop Shot Rig and fished a couple hundred feet of shoreline directly across from the pier. We were on fish the whole morning and never needed to move. What would have been a typical "tap tap" on our rigs was more of a "bam bam". It was a blast. The fish were holding in one to three feet of water. 

After the fog lifted we decided to check out the little island. On the windy point of the island the bass were stacked up. We fished there for another hour, never having the action subside. At about noon we fished up and down the other shoreline on the pier side of the lake. Nothing different, it was non stop action. At 2:30 we had culled all we wanted to clean. We ended up catching 94 bass, 81 being 14 inches and smaller which were culled and turned into excellent filets. We also caught two Crappie and two monster Bluegills on the Drop Shot Rigs. We had a great visit with the owner who seemed disappointed we hadn't caught any large bass. He said to his knowledge there had been over a thousand bass culled from the larger lake this year by club members and was hoping the bass would show an increase in size by now. What a great guy. He asked us to be sure soon to come back soon and continue the cause of culling the big lake. He said the back lake had little management and was producing much bigger fish. I look forward to going back and trying out the smaller lake. What a great day…a couple of times I nearly had the rod jerked out of my hand. Those fish were really hungry! The largest fish of the day was 16 inches.

Nov 19 2018

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

A day to remember, congrats.