Fun day at Waterboo 11-3-2018

Nov 04 2018

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19756
Property Name : Waterboo Lake: Bedrock Ranch
Reservation Date : 11/03/2018 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 30 Bass up to 1.5 lbs.
Lures Used : Senko, Squarebill

Thought I posted a report from phone but may not have posted.                       

Fished Waterboo yesterday afternoon with my son.   Beautiful property/lake setting.  Got to the lake around 1 pm and got the boat rigged up.  Wind was a howling out of the south/sw and the bluffs on east and west sides of the lake didn't offer much protection.  

Started at the northeast corner near the damn and picked up 3 on a t-rig green pumpkin senko and white beetlespin.  Worked our way down the east bank along the bluff and didn't have much luck.  Kept with the t-rig senko and beetlespin.  Also tried spinnerbaits and swimbaits.  Caught another fish at the mouth of the creek and then ventured into the creek for about 45 minutes to get out of the wind.  No action in the creek so went back to the launch for a break and a new game plan. Decided to quit fighting the wind and started drifting the main lake starting at the sw corner.  Started with a red (craw pattern) square bill and my son tried a red craw lipless crank bait and we just started fan casting all around us as we drifted to the damn.  The red squarebill was the ticket and started to immediately pick up fish after fish.  No action with the lipless crank which I thought was strange considering the squarebill and lipless were almost identical patterns.

Around 5:30 the wind laid down and it became super calm with an overcast sky and setting sun.  Thought it would be super topwater conditions and decided to switch to a bone whopper plopper and a silver pop r.  Worked the west bank with the TW's while my son kept throwing a squarebill to the main lake. The squarebill kept producing while the TW bite was nada.

Finished right at dark as a storm blew in.  Tallied 30-35, the biggest maybe 1.5 lbs.  All fish were probably 10" to 15".  Nothing big but my son had a blast and it kept him off his phone for a few hours.  Cell service is spotty out there just fyi.

Nov 05 2018

Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Glad y'all had a good day and Waterboo did its thing for you and your son.  Those fish are gonna get bigger in the years to come.