A Day for Little Ones in Oklahoma

Oct 23 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

I caught 35 and harvested 31 yesterday at Indian Hollow. I only caught 4 bass over 14”. Almost all fish were caught on Senkos and topwaters between 8:30 and 4:30. The “biggest”, only 3-02, hit an old (vintage, like me), silver Rex Spoon in the thick pond weed. The winds varied from calm to maybe 5 mph, and the sky was clear until mid-afternoon, when it started clouding up. Water clarity was about 4 feet, and the water temp climbed from 62.1 to 64.1 while I fished. There was no overflow from the upper pond. The fish caught on Senkos were mostly on outer the edges of the pondweed, either on points or against the bank near reeds, with a few near shallow wood. I caught fish from 11:00 until 4:30 on a bone Yellow Magic, a white Buzz bait, and a Zara Spook "knockoff." Except for the buzz bait, topwaters had to be motionless to get a strike. If the Senkos weren't hit on initial fall, I had  to "deadstick" them.

Although I had nothing to brag about, it was a truly beautiful day to be on the water….a glorious sunrise to start the day, and a stunningly beautiful sunset on my way home…..with nothing in between but fun!

What worked:  5” Senkos (black/blue flake, watermelon/red flake, green pumpkin/black pepper, and “cheeto”); Balsa B squarebill (shad, orange belly); 3/4 oz Rattletrap (chrome/chartreuse); a white, 3-bladed buzz bait, a 1/2 oz Yellow Magic (bone)”; the weedless, vintage Weezel Rex Spoon (silver)with an Uncle Josh 6” pork Black Widow Eel; a greenish chatterbait; and a Zara Spook ‘knockoff’ (shad, modified with a blue felt marker lateral line on each side), rigged 12” behind a wee Tiny Torpedo (chrome/black back) with no rear hook. (It only worked near the thick brush and trees in the very back of the 2 larger arms of the lake. I had to cast beyond the wood, ”walk” the bait up to the target wood, and then stop it. The bass would hit 8-10 seconds afterthe bait stopped moving.

What didn’t:  Flukes, either single or “monkey-rigged;” deep crankbaits; soft swim baits; T-rigged Pit Boss; other Senko colors

Steve, 

All of the bass that I fileted had empty stomachs, and every fish I caught but one were thin with oversized heads. I'm wondering if perhaps we might not be meeting our harvest goals at Indian Hollow.

Oct 23 2018

James Stewart

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

That lake is absolutely full of fish.  My experience there is similar to yours, Tom.  Lots of action, and no real size to speak of.  It's great for my wife and daughter; they really enjoy catching numbers of fish.

That's funny you mention that your topwater baits needed to be motionless.  I can remember the same pattern on one of my trips there.