Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19636
Property Name : Indian Hollow Ranch
Reservation Date : 10/13/2018 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 65 total; 45 culls; 20 released; 6 lb 8oz
Lures Used : senko; yamamoto creature bait; strike king rage tail

I fished Indian Hollow Ranch on 10/13 and had a great day.  It rained from 7:30am to about 3:15pm.  I caught 30 LMB in the major creek channels, main points and north end of the island.  The cull to release ratio was 2:1, with the cull fish all being 8-10 inches and the release fish between 1.8 - 2.75 lbs.  At 3:00pm, with about 3 inches of rainwater in the boat, I headed back to the boat launch.  On the way back, I noticed that the drainpipe overflows from the upper pond in the damn by the boat launch were moving a lot of water, comparable to the pressure of an open fire hydrant.  After pulling the boat out of the water and packing my gear in the vehicle, it had stopped raining and I decided to shore fish the damn.  I caught another 35 LMB in two hours by casting an unweighted Yamamoto green pumpkin creature bait on a 4/0 EWG into the waterflow from the overflow pipes and letting the pressure carry the lure out to the lake.  It was a fish on practically every cast, either on the float out in the water flow or on the retrieve back next to the water flow.  Again, the ratio of cull to release fish was a consistent 2:1.  I caught one hawg at 6lb 8oz and 22.75 inches right next to one of the overflow pipes.  Although all the cull fish were small (8-10 inches), my cooler was full long before I caught cull #45, so I put some coyote food back in the woods at the far end of the damn.  The lake was full when I arrived in the morning and it rose noticeably during the day from the rain, run-off and upper pond overflow.  When I left at 5:30pm, the upper pond had bypassed the damn via what looked like an engineered overflow bypass and there was a six inch deep, 8 foot wide, channel flowing directly from the upper pond to the lake.

Oct 15 2018

Shayne Wallace

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Congratulations on a fun day of fishing and catching a big one!  That's the biggest fish I've heard of come out of there. Michael and I went to Indian Hollow early last year and smashed 2-4 lb fish all day but a 5.0 was the biggest we could drag outta there.  It's a wonderful property with lots of fishy habitat and management practices.  Makes you wonder where the big girls hang out… we have the same type of luck at Timber.  Great fishing and as much fun as you could have with your clothes on, just haven't been able to find 7+lb fish…

Oct 15 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Greg,

Indian Hollow is one of my favorite lakes. Thanks for the aggressive harvest and glad you caught a big one. I caught a 6.5 the first time I fished there, but have not managed anything bigger since that first trip. 

I'm so glad you stayed by the overflow pipe. Those fish were attracted to that oxygen rich water with a food source pouring in a buffet table of groceries for the bluegill and the bass waiting to for the right opportunity to ambush one of the those bluegills

Oct 17 2018

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

What a day, and good thinking of casting into the water inflow.