Oct 12 2018

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19632
Property Name : Waterboo Lake: Bedrock Ranch
Reservation Date : 10/11/2018 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 25-30
Lures Used : Senkos, Super flukes, 75 Whopper Plopper, Pompadeur Jr.

We had one of our better days this year fishing Waterboo Lake. Beautiful rustic property.  Owners were jovial and helpful, roads good going in, lake was full and surprisingly clear after rain the day before. Water temp 72° all afternoon. Launched our little boat and immediately discovered how strong and aggressive the bluegill are there! They tore up senkos, hammered Super Flukes and nailed topwaters! Would be a fun place for kids or flyfishing anglers.

We caught bass (and bluegills) in every area of the lake. The creek at the south end is loaded with small bass! We caught about 25-30 bass dinks (lost count) none over 1.2 pounds. As the sun was setting behind the trees, I switched to topwaters including a new favorite, a Whopper Plopper 75. Fourth topwater cast brought in our biggest fish of the day - close to 5 pounds.

We look forward to fishing here again with our grandkids!

Oct 12 2018

Justin Anderson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report!

Oct 12 2018

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

That is a good day! Nicely done. 

Oct 13 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Nice report, Larry - thanks! Glad you did well!

Oct 13 2018

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thank you all. One thing that concerned me in my 2-wheel drive truck was the low water crossing. When I got to it I wasn't sure of the best way to cross. The owner came by as I was surveying the area and said to make a wide arc to the left of center, which I did. It really was no big deal. So if you go there, just swing wide left and you'll be fine. 4-wheel drive vehicles can probably go straight through.

Another suggestion - as I did here, it's always best to stop and look before proceeding into rocky or muddy or steep conditions. Consider your vehicle and your skills and options. I've personally gotten stuck twice in 7 years and it's no fun! Don't count on the owner to pull you out. As Steve suggested in previous wet years, have a name and number of a towing service in your lake area in case you need a tow.

Oct 13 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

That’s good to know. Thanks, Larry.