Stephen Hardison

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19568
Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake
Reservation Date : 09/30/2018 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 4 total: 1 14 inch, 2 18 inch, 1 20 inch
Lures Used : Texas rigged creature bait

New member here and just took first trip out near Bowie to Backside of the Moon. Took my 6 year old boy and 9 Year old boy. Rigged up the  v hull aluminum boat -- found copperhead underneath so be on the lookout for these guys. Was on water at 7:45 am. Did more explaining, training, rigging , detangling, untreeing for a long time. Finally pulled in a 14 incher on a White spinnerbait a hour in. around 11:30 am started getting some action on Texas rigged creature bait. Pulled in 2 18 inches and 1 20 incher. I broke my line on two different hookups, missed a few others and had one monster break my line at the boat. My two boys each hooked up with a Texas rigged creature bait as well. My oldest had a very big fish on and it broke his line at the boat. My younger also lost his near the boat but the fish just shook  it out. Boys loved the experience and had a both learned to operate the trolling motor. I am pretty sure the next outing will be exceptional as well. Fished till around  2:30 pm when we finnly decided to head home. P.S tried the green flat bottom jon boat too and it has major leak.

Oct 01 2018

John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Welcome to the club, Stephen.

There are few better ways to introduce kids to fishing than this club.  Your instructional time should taper off and your casting time will increase as they become more proficient.

Oct 02 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Stephen,

Welcome to the club. Glad you caught some solid fish on your first outing. 

What type and lb test line were you using? How long had the line been in the reel? reels stored inside or outside your home? 

Using 15, 17, or 20 lb mono, or Flourocarbon that is less than 6 months old, stored inside might have solved many or all those break offs. On a like like Back side of the Moon, with such dirty water,  you could certainly could use 30 lb, 50 lb, or 65 lb braid with no need to tie a mono or Flouro leader. 

I hate hearing folks getting broken off. Just hoping this helps with your next experience, never know when you will get your heart broken by a fish of a life time. 

Oct 02 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

We have contacted the owner about the leak in the boat to learn more and get it fixed. 

Oct 06 2018

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I fished there with my oldest son a few years back, and we had a similar experience. I've come to believe there are some huge fish deep in the south half of the lake. Using new 17 lb fleurocarbon and Palomar knots, my son hooked into two very late fish. Here a little video I made of our outing: https://youtu.be/v5dyyBMwf18

Oct 07 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Stephen,

We contacted the landowner and both agree the boat is a goner. The boat will be replaced. In the meantime there is a serviceable smaller 10 foot jon boat. Thanks for letting us know. 

Oct 10 2018

Stephen Hardison

Fry

Number of Posts :

Yes sir, south half closest too the dam is the sweet spot.

Oct 10 2018

Stephen Hardison

Fry

Number of Posts :

I fished that v hull and it worked well, but a bit small for 3 people..