James Mathis

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 19245
Property Name : Oak Meadow Lake
Reservation Date : 08/11/2018 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 25 bass to 2.5 lbs
Lures Used : worm, crank, spook

The rain stayed in Texas and the weather in Tushka couldn't have been better for fishing in August - overcast, high about 80 deg, light and variable winds.

I fished from 8 am to 1 pm and caught fish all day. Just before leaving, I made two trolling passes along the damn with a Lucky Craft crankbait and boated three nice bass and two black slab crappie.

Total bass count was 25 from dink to 2.5 lbs. All looked healthy and dark, and fought hard. The main bait was a 7.5 ribbontail worm TX-rigged on 1/8 oz weight in watermelon seed -- always good in clear water. Caught some on black and blue cuttail worm fished weightless. A few strikes on crankbait, but they weren't committed until the trolling runs. Popper - not much action, but caught three and had two more blow-ups on am Excalibur spook-type walking bait. The best spot was the deep point directly across from the launch spot to the right of the creek.

Water was clear and weed growth very heavy. Water is down about 2 feet. Expect to row the boat through about 50 feet of heavy muck before reaching open water. The PWF boat is a wide 12 footer, and very stable for the length, no issues.

Notes: The gate lock is finicky. The tumbler numbers won't work if lined up in the center. They need to line up just above center along a small mark there. Boggy Depot Road is the first road going into Tushka at the light. Carr Pen is not marked, but is the gravel road just after the ball fields on the right. The ranch is through the tunnel of overhanging trees on Carr Pen.

Tight lines!

Jim

Aug 12 2018

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thank you for the very nice report. For those of less accomplished bass fisherman they are a great source of learning. 

Dave

Aug 13 2018

James Mathis

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Dave:

There are other members in the club that have far more knowledge than I do, but I'm glad to share what I do know.

Jim