Leinweber - same place different results

Jul 04 2018

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Fished Leinweber on July 3rd from 7AM until 3PM. 

For those that fish Leinweber frequently you may have encountered the train the stops often on the road you take from US 90 West. I have been stopped by it now twice. An alternate route is to continue on US 90 West and take the exit for Escondido. Just before you enter the gate for Escondido, take the road to the left. Just stay on that road and you will eventually see the train or the tracks on you left. Now just continue like you crossed the train tracks. 

Now for the report. 

Unlike my last trip, the standing timbers did not produce any numbers or large bass. There was  not a morning top water bite either. I did see a large bass jump down towards the end where the inlet is located, but could not get it to strike. I did catch several 2-3# Bass running a shallow diving crank (chart/black) across the area down from the private boat launch point where it narrows to a shallow area. I caught several under 14” (2 came off near my kayak) running crank baits around  the smallest of the standing timbers. Each hit like a 3-4# bass.  There was a noon top water bit for a short while and I caught some on a dark green ribbit frog.  I was using mostly darker colors (red/black, chart/black, green/black) then switched to blues and whites with about the same results. 

I ended the trip with about 7 (largest around 3#) and culled 1. 

No real pattern 

Water clarity was less than a foot. 

Water temp was around 85 degrees. 

Bill