Hot but worth it 6/9

Jun 11 2018

Craig Awtrey

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished from 6am to 4pm. Had a few in the frog in the morning, starting off with a 5.4lb bass. Followed up with a cull, then a 4.27lber. No more frog bites that morning. Switched to a t-rig worm, caught a few culls, then a 1.5lber. Switched to a green craw, and caught a 4.82lber. At this point it's 10:30, I've only caught a few fish but a few really solid ones. Went by the dock and threw a chatterbait out in the middle, let it sink, and then slow rolled it. Felt like I got hung on something, but then it moved and started to surface. Massive headshake - the ensuing fight resulted in a couple of strong surges under the boat, and me dancing around keeping pressure on while grabbing my net. Somehow I managed to net it, and put it on a scale, 9.17lbs.

Stopped for lunch and to get some relief from the heat in the shade - went back out and got a few frog bites, then switched over to a swimjig to fish the edge of the grass. 4.67lb, 2.16lb, a cull, and then I heard some blowups in the grass so I picked up the frog again. 4.56lb and a 2.95lb on the frog. At this point, it's hot, I'm getting fatigued, and decided to call in and pack it up. 

Overall 18 fish, 7 of those culls. The overall size of these fish is excellent. 

Beautiful property and a wonderful day of fishing. One of my favorite locations, perhaps my new favorite and I can't wait to go back.

Posted By: Craig Awtrey

Jun 11 2018

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Woah, bucket mouth! Craig that is a spectacular day, thank you for sharing your experience and photo with us.

Jun 12 2018

Shayne Wallace

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

That's a beast!  Congratulations.  I've been trying to get over to that lake but something always comes up.  I want to give it a shot when it cools off a lil bit and the grass dies back a lil bit.  

Jun 13 2018

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Nice report, Craig. Glad you had some success with the big girls!