Saturday, May 12th - Crockett, Hickory Creek (Smaller ones in the big lake, bigger ones in the small lake)

May 14 2018

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Wife and I fished Hickory Creek Ranch on Saturday.  Weather cooperated for a change.  Some cloud cover and a nice breeze with air temps into the mid-80's by late afternoon.  This is a very nice property and as stated is a bit different with the wedding venue setup, etc., but the owner/manager is very accommodating and assured us that we could fish the big lake in the front of the property even while a wedding shower was going on and then proceed to the smaller back lake before a 2:00 PM wedding.  So, that was no problem.  We landed 16 and culled 16 from the big/front lake and landed 11 from the small/back lake.  Most of our success was on green pumpkin T-Rig plastic stickbaits and a couple on paddletail swimbaits.  We were really inefficient on the big lake because of the weed growth extending from the pond floor to the surface.  This weed played havoc with us - primarily with the trolling motor.  Not a knock on the lake, just information indicating that you could have a higher numbers day if you fished more efficiently - probably from the shore to be honest.  All of the culls were right at 13 inches, so they were decent sized and scrappy.

On the smaller/back lake, we did not have the challenge of the submerged/growing grass.  The bass we landed back there were of better quality - probably 7 of the 11 were between 2lbs 4oz and 3lbs 11oz.  It is very secluded and beautiful at the back lake.

Really enjoyed our day and would recommend you give it a shot!

Posted By: Mark Daugherty

May 14 2018

Scott Porto

Fry

Number of Posts :

Mark,

My Dad and I fished there on Thursday (5-10-18). Similar to you we fished the big lake till lunch time and then fished the small lake after lunch. The grass is thick but we found success fishing the bank with a spinner bait and we caught 56 and all 56 were culls. The small lake we did not have to deal with the grass but really could not figure out the fish there. We caught 11 from the small lake with the biggest being 5lbs 1oz. Again fished mostly a spinner bait but the largest fish was caught on a Rapala. All in all it was a great trip and both lakes are very beautiful.