4/29/18 am Trip

May 01 2018

Billy Morton

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

We arrived on property at about 7am and got the boat in the water. We easily launched my 17' Tracker Grizzly aluminum boat via the concrete boat ramp. 

The water temp was 70 degrees and water visability was murky around 12". Just as the other reports mentioned, it was tough fishing. We ended up catching 7 total fish before we left at 11:30a. 

One dink took a top water chugger, another dink on crankbait, two dinks on a fluke, and three on a swimbait. One of the three on the swimbait was a catfish that my sons friend caught, it took us all by surprise. Biggest out of the seven was about 2.5 lbs on the swimbait. 

At one point we noticed a fish floating upside down in the lake so we went over to check it out and low and behold it was the biggest shad I had ever seen. I didn't even know they grew to this size, this thing was every bit of 14".

Posted By: Billy Morton

May 01 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

That is a gizzard shad as opposed to the better known threadfin shad. We Electrofish them to about 2 lbs. 

May 01 2018

Billy Morton

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Wow, I had no idea they could grow that big. Yeah, I guess I was thinking about the threadfin.

Thanks for the insight Steve!