And Another Report on Hickory Creek Ranch

Apr 24 2018

John Egan

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fellow member Lane Blundell and I fished from about 8AM to 2PM on Monday April 23. Lane began in the boat on the big lake, but was blown off after an hour or so  as the winds were too much for sustaining his troll motor battery. The big lake is wide open. The water was a fairly rich green color with visibility limited to 6 inches. Nevertheless, he did manage 10 small fish with one cull before joining me in the back lake. The drive to that lake was marked with orange cones. 

The back lake had a slight breeze and the water clarity was good. Lane took to the boat again as I fished from the bank. As he reached the center of the lake he saw a swirl and pitched a top water in that direction. He was rewarded with an 8 lb'r which he said may be a PB. He later added a 6 to that. I managed to work my way around the open bank and caught about 10, the best being a 3 and a 4 that looked very healthy. I had one cull.

Overall we had about 30 fish, with 2 culls using topwater and soft plastics.    

Posted By: John Egan

Apr 24 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report John. 

As we take fish out of the lake the numbers are going to be reduced. So, fishing will slow, but over the next few years the size will increase.

FYI, we fertilized the front lake and the visibility has gone from 4 feet to 18 inches. 18 inches is the perfect clarity has it is now rich in phytoplankton. Phytoplankton is crucial, especially this time of year with so much fry in the water.