Windy Afternoon at Old Oaks Ranch - 4/15/2018

Apr 17 2018

Robert Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Late departure from west Houston plus major delays on 290 plus detours around the Bluebonnet Festival in Chappell Hill prevented me from accessing the property till 3PM. Once there, a steady NW wind (~15 mph) greeted me so I went to Plan B and fished from the bank.

Recent fronts have filled this tank up…highest water level I have seen since fishing there on multiple occasions over the past year. The rains have also reduced the water clarity to less than a foot, altogether making for some challenging fishing.

I fished the entire perimeter having no success except off of the dam near the downed trees and willow brush. Fished till 7PM and caught 12 with most over 14” (only two dinks). Largest was 18” and sporting a bloody post spawn tail. Greatest success came on a chartreuse and white spinner bait with one or two caught on a dark green chatterbait with a black and blue paddle tail trailer. Nothing else got a bite.

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the owners (Miss Lucy) and her daughter and spent some time talking about the fine property and thanked her for allowing us to fish this beautiful ranch! Her son and a buddy have partially cleared off brush from the island and are working on reestablishing the raft transport system which will allow the bank fisherman to be able to fish from the island in the future. 

Looking forward to my next trip here later this spring!

Bob

Posted By: Robert Scheidemann