Quality vs Quality at Pecan Gap

Mar 22 2018

Steve Johnston

Fry

Number of Posts :

On 3/20/18 I ended up getting a day off and went up to Pecan Gap with my son. This was my second time to fish this property. Was calm, 3-7 mph winds, 45 - 50 degrees. Lake level is up from my last visit and the cedar drop markers are under water. Good thing I knew where they were. Most of the fish were suspended about 10' with some closer to the surface earlier in the morning. Brought 4 into the boat with the biggest being 5.7 lbs. This property is highly managed so the quantity is lower than some of the other properties but the quality of fish are very healthy when you hook one. 

Tried everything from jig with red and pumpkin trailer, spinner baits, rattle traps to bluegill colored square bill crank bait. We ended up finding the fish on the north east corner of the lake where there is a large submerged tree. They seemed to biting on crawfish colored crank baits. Both log lipped and square billed. We tried to get the suspended bass (8-10') to bite but they weren't interested. Before we left we did some mapping of the terrain in the lake and now have a idea on how the lake is laid out. There are a lot of humps, trees and pockets throughout the lake.

This is a great property and I'm sure when the water warms up a little more those big boys will be fun to catch. 

Posted By: Steve Johnston