Lots of Fish

Mar 20 2018

Doug Johnson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Fished yesterday, March 19th at this relatively new lake to South Texas.  Early forecasts predicted calm winds but that evaporated as the winds were a constant 20mph with gusts to 30.  My intention was to fly fish only but that lasted a short while as I couldn't contend with the wind.  Picked up a couple of small bass and huge sunny on the fly but was forced to go to baitcasting with soft plastics.   I lost track but probably boated between 25 and 30 fish and culled all but 3 by disposing of them on the south bank.  2 fish were in the 2 to 2.5 lb range and one nice bass weighed in at 3 lbs. 14 ounces and was the largest fish of the day.  Threw crankbaits, spinner baits, crawdads and worms.  Picked up 1 or 2 fish on everything but by far the best producing bait was motor oil worms with chartreuse tails.  One thing they DIDN"T want was anything blue.  Blue crawdads are usually deadly on these lakes but failed to produce anything.  Like this lake a lot and looking forward to fishing it on a calm day with the fly rod.  These small bass are a ton of fun on a 4 weight.

Posted By: Doug Johnson

Mar 20 2018

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Doug. Fished it last year before it closed for hunting. I need to return as I had success. 

Bill Fetech 

Mar 27 2018

Trent Sorrells

Fry

Number of Posts :

Sounds like a lot of potential, similar to Medinas lake? By chance, do you remember having cell service out there? need to know before I go.

Thx

Trent Sorrells

Mar 29 2018

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

The lake is already producing giant fish. We have two members who have fished 11 of the 16 reservations. One member has fished 6 times this month and has a  one day 40 lb sack from the lake. I have asked that he post a fishing report, but he will not, I'm sure he wants it be a secret. Anyway, the lake has a bunch of big fish already.