Cold and Windy at Pecan Gap

Dec 22 2017

Steve Johnston

Fry

Number of Posts :

This weekend was our first fishing trip back since we rejoined. We were members in 2013 and took a break because of work and life. My boys are 12 and 15 and love the outdoors so we decided to quit fighting the big lakes and get back to PWF.

We never fished Pecan Gap before but still decided to spend a 1/2 day out there even with the cold windy weather. I took my 12 year old and was met by the owner as we were unloading our boat. Nice guy and he had just harvested an 11pt buck on the back of the property. I was impressed by the lake layout the min we arrived. 

Fishing was slow but mostly due to having to deal with 14mh winds out of the north. 37 degree temp with wind felt like it was in the 20's. My 12 year old toughed it out with me. Water temp was 55 degrees. We moved around trying trying plastics (tx and wacky), crank baits, jigs and swimmers. We ended up finding some fish on the NE corner of the lake and pulled in a 5.5 lb caught on a Berkley SquareBull 5.5 floating crankbait. We didnt get to harvest any 14" or less and only ended up with 1 fish. It was like a bomb went off when she hit that crank bait and put up a good fight. 

Owner told us that the first freeze a couple weeks ago killed off most of the Tilapia. He said they were dead all around the banks right after the freeze. 

Even with it being cold and windy we had a great time and looking forward to making another trip out there to fish with better weather.  

Posted By: Steve Johnston