OK day at Van Alstyne

Dec 10 2017

Herb Phelan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Fished Jer Mar Saturday afternoon since I would be in McKinney that evening for an office Christmas party. I've fished the property a handful of times over the years but had never tried anywhere but the main lake. I decided to give the other bodies of water a try as well just to change things up. Also decided to bank fish rather than use the john boats.

Conditions were air temps in the 50s, not a cloud in the sky, and only a mild wind most of the afternoon. Nothing on top waters or Rattle traps all afternoon, all the action was on weightless green Senkos dipped in Spike-It. 

I caught two in upper Jer Mar, both in deeper water, didn't have any action on the shore lines. Tried Beaver Lake with nothing. Moved over to the main lake and caught 6 fish working the whole shore line adjacent to the road, most of them caught at the edge of the weed line. There's a really big, long flat on that side of the lake that's good wade fishing, at least it was until I couldn't feel my legs anymore! Need to ask Santa for some insulated waders. The bite wasn't very aggressive, but the fish punched above their weight. Only one fish less than 16", the rest all between 2 and 3 pounds. And yes, I was the only person at the office Christmas party smelling like the lake. Oh well, they knew what they were getting into when they hired me.

Posted By: Herb Phelan

Dec 11 2017

Jerry King

Fry

Number of Posts :

Glad you caught fish. You deserve it if you are wade fishing in December.  I usually catch fish along that shore line by road you mentioned.  Jerry King owner