Cat in The Black Hat

Dec 09 2017

Justin Thompson

Fry

Number of Posts :

New to the club. Haven’t fished since I was a kid. Now I have two boys so thought this would be a great way to bond. Joined the club since a lot of kid friendly public bank fishing options are covered with litter and overly pressured. What a great decision! Loved Leonard Black Hat. Came in aiming to catfish with punch bait on a santee rig since they can be harvested and I heard they were plentiful. Considering we fished a half day, I was happy with the results. We harvested 5 catfish ranging 2 to 4 &1/4 lbs and we caught and released a 20 in large mouth on a Rat L Trap. All our catches were on the south end from the peninsula. Look forward to fishing more seriously for bass or crappie in the future. 

Posted By: Justin Thompson

Dec 11 2017

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Justin,

Welcome to the club, glad that you had a great time with your family. That lake is loaded with catfish, and the more we can remove the better. Rat-L-Traps on that lake are deadly for catching bass; that lake is loaded with shad. Please, let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

Cole PWF

Dec 12 2017

Jay Reese

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I fished there couple weeks ago with a coworker and lake clearer than I’ve ever seen it by far. Guess removing the catfish made big siffernce. I noticed aereators weren’t running when I was there. We’re there issues with the oxygen levels in that lake before when water was not as clear? Just curious. Visibility was probably only few inches before

Dec 13 2017

Justin Thompson

Fry

Number of Posts :

It was my first time at the lake, but I was pretty impressed with the clarity. I didn't pay attention to the aerators when I was there.

Dec 18 2017

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Jay,

I would love to have aeration at all lakes. But, you can imagine the cost. The cost is about $5,000 for the first 5 acres and then $500  per acre their after. Provided you have electricity to the lake. Running electricity to the lake can run into the 10's of thousands depending how far you have to run a line. 

Aeration keeps a lake for stratifying. The water on the bottom has little oxygen, so aeration reduces the denser, colder water with less oxygen, as the entire water column is mixed. The best aeration is bottom diffusers that mix the water column. Fountains are pretty to look at, but offer little effect on water quality unless it was on a tiny 1/8 acre pond or smaller. Black Hat was not suffering a oxygen issue more than any other lake. However, the previous owner was really into growing big bass and used aeration as an insurance policy to keep the lake from "flipping" or turning over. When lakes "turn over" the dense, low oxygen water from the bottom flips to the top and this often causes a fish kill. There is a bit more to do this, but don't want to get to much into the weeds. Just know aeration is almost always a positive, but just very expensive.

Dec 18 2017

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

My question Steve,  does the aeration device at Jer Mar work? How does it aerate the water? Does it generate electricity to operate a pump?  I never see any bubbles.   Or is it just forcing air down a pipe. Maybe Jerry King has the answer. Whatever  it does the fish at Jer Mar are healthy and strong.

Dec 19 2017

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bob,

The aeration at JerMar was designed with bottom diffusers, powered by the windmill. It is currently not operational.