Tough Fishing Up By the Red River

Oct 22 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Danny Renfro graciously invited me to fish Pecan Gap with him yesterday, and I jumped at the chance to fish the ‘new’ property.  We got there before daylight and were unable to find the concrete boat ramp, so we backed our trailers in south of the dock with no problem.  Danny fished from his Pelican, and I from my 8-foot Bass Hunter. The morning was totally overcast with a fairly moderate to strong (at times) south wind. The water temperature at trolling motor depth was between 69 and 70 everywhere on the lake. Water clarity was about 2 feet. Fishing was tough. I don’t know how many bass Danny caught, but he beat the socks off of me. He had a stringer of harvest fish plus a fat 3-pounder, a four-pounder, a 5-12, and one over six. I finished my day with 5 harvest fish plus a 4-02 and a 5-08. The ‘five’ left about a 30-foot-long wake through the surface weeds at the far southwest end to hit my black Sprinkle Frog. The ‘four’ fell for a ¾ oz Rattletrap in about 12 feet of water, just off the west side point’s big brushpile. Most of the smaller fish hit around the outside edge of the grass along the northeast side of the lake. That grass is in the process of dying back. After noon , the wind died down some, the sky started clearing, the water temp climbed above 70, and the bite just about quit completely.  The fall colors of the trees and underbrush around the lake were even prettier in the sunlight. Danny left around 3:00 for his drive back to Norman, and I stuck it out for another hour or so, with no results except for arm exercise. The owner, Craig McGee, came down and talked to us for a while before we left. What a nice guy! He told me that the biggest bass ever caught at Pecan Gap was a 14-02, and that “There are a LOT of 10-pounders swimming out there, right now.” Unfortunately, we didn’t contact any of them.  I’ll go back, though…..it’s a beautiful lake, and it’s easy to see that Mr. McGee put a lot of time and $$$ building a lot of structure and cover during its construction.

What worked for me:   ¾ oz chrome/black back Rattletrap, the black Sprinkle Frog, black/blue weightless, wacky-rigged Senkos, white bladed jig with Lake Fork Tackle Boot Tail Live Magic Shad trailer, small, crawfish-pattern squarebill.

What didn’t:   white 3-bladed buzz bait, purple 2-bladed buzz bait, pale green and white single-spin, Bomber Fat Free Shad Square Lip, large shad-pattern deep-diving crankbaits, T-rigged 7” Senko, wacky-rigged watermelon/red flake 5” Senko, shad-pattern 5- and 6-inch swim baits, white underspin with Keitech trailer, T-rigged Pit Boss, black/blue jig with blue pork craw, white Chatterbait (worked for Danny), white Top Toad, and a hollow body frog.

Thanks again for the invitation, Danny, and thanks to Steve for making this beautiful ‘lunker lake’ available to us.

Posted By: Tom Dillon

Oct 22 2017

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

22 different lure presentations. I don’t think I would  tried that many things in a year of fishing out there.   Impressive, for sure.

Oct 22 2017

Tom Dillon

Toad

Number of Posts :

Steve, you know that I always carry "Tom's Tackle Shop with me. I had 13 rods in the boat.Some of the lures weren't tied on for very long, either.

Oct 22 2017

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I caught most of mine on a 1/2 oz white chatterbait,  t rig rage tail lobster, and XD 5 crank bait.  I downgraded to smaller crank baits and swimbaits.  It was just one of those days where the bite really slowed in the afternoon and nothing was working Me and  the owner, Craig talked for a good 15 minutes. He showed me several pictures of fish over 10lbs caught from this property. Being able to hop on I 35 and shoot straight to this property in a hour and 45 minutes is nice. This lake is beautiful,  and has that big fish feel to it.   I’ll definitely be back.