Chunky Bass on Pecan Gap

Oct 01 2017

Billy Morton

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

We fished Pecan Gap Saturday 9/30 evening trip. This is a very nice property. It has an automatic gate, a short drive on a nice rock path to the lake and the available pontoon boat has plenty of room, just bring your trolling motor and battery and you're all set. Pushing it off into the water and getting it pulled up on land can be a bit tough since it is a heavier boat but it can be managed. We fished the lake hard from 12p until about 7:30p when it got dark. The bite was very slow pretty much the whole day but most of the one we caught were fatties. The largest of the day was 5 1/2 lbs caught by my son on a wacky senko by the timber just below the west side fish feeder. I aslo had a 4+ lber come unbuttoned on a weightless lizard in this same spot later in the day. We caught another that went for right at 5 lbs on a rattle trap and two or three 3 lbers on the same lure. We had 4 that were unders that were harvested. I caught a 3 lber on a chugger that had at least a pound in its belly. The fish in this lake are probably the fattest that I have seen on any club lake, they are eating very very well. We talked to the owner (I believe his name was Craig) as we were leaving and he was a very nice guy. I thanked him for allowing us to fish his beautiful property. He mentioned that he spends most of him time working, which he was all day while we were there, so he said he wanted other people to be able to fish the lake since he doesn't get to much.

The water temp was much cooler than I expected it to be, I am guessing in the low 60's. 

Also, the wasps, bees, and very large bumble bees are quite curious the kids and I found ourselves ducking, dodging, swatting, and falling over each other on the boat lol, it was a sight to see :)

What worked: Rattle trap, senko, lizzard, popper (slow), plopper (1), rooster tail produced a few small bluegill

What didn't: Jig, swimbait, frog, crappie jigs, anything topwater was very challenging, chatterbait, cranks, creature plastics

I think if we could catch the fish more active on this lake it would be an amazing trip. We will definitely be back in the future to see.

Posted By: Billy Morton