Ben Wheeler Twin Lakes - 5/22/17

May 23 2017

Pete Lane

Fry

Number of Posts :

Had my first trip to Ben Wheeler yesterday. Overcast and cool (mid 60's), water temp at 75. Fished east lake from noon to 4, caught 18, mostly on lipless crankbait around the timber, a few more on senkos in the shallows at the top end, one on Carolina rig. Couldn't get a bite on crank baits or frogs. Almost all the fish were in the 1-2lb range, with a couple around 3 - fish here are chunky and look very healthy. Water clarity was good and the lakes are full. At 4 I moved over to give west lake a try - still caught fish (caught another 15 in about 2 hours - same pattern as in east lake, they were up in the water column and looking for moving baits), though the average size quite a bit smaller than east lake at under a pound. Did catch the big fish of the day at 4lb in west lake though. One thing to note, the lake bottom at the launch site is very soft in west lake - so if you're hand launching a kayak, be prepared to sink into the mud to your ankles… Great day out - based on my trip, if you're headed out here and only have time / inclination to fish one of the lakes, I'd stick with east lake

Posted By: Pete Lane