New math for Deer Trail, stay for the lesson!

Dec 06 2015

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Upon arriving at Deer Trail we are met with frost on the ground and numerous flocks of Geese overhead. The lake is over filled.  In our fishing we went by the overflow pipe and the water is flowing over the top. Note to owner, the funnel that sits on the top of the overflow had some holes in it which will bring the water level down maybe 2 feet over time. So the lake now has a lot of new territory to fish. Loaded the boat and headed south and immediately caught a nice three pounder on a red spinner bait.  Continued fishing and it was maybe another hour before we got another nice fish on a red Shad senko.  By the time lunch came around at 1:30 pm we had 5 bass for the morning on a variety of baits. Red spinner, red Shad senko, black ribbit frog, watermelon zoom super fluke.  After lunch headed out to north east corner and caught 2 more bass. As late afternoon approached we headed back towards launch. We got curious as we saw 3 nutrias sitting on a weed pile. This is almost directly across from launch area.  Saw something moving in the new flooded grass, bam a 5 pounder on the black ribbit frog.  It was now 4:30 and we continued to fish this new part of the lake. So in one hour we caught 11 bass on that frog and watermelon fluke. So the new math is if you fish for 7 hours and catch 7 fish, how did we catch 11 fish in one hour.  Go to Deer Trail for the answer. Other notes, water is stained from runoff, 2 feet visibility, the road is in great shape, launching is easy. Used V-Hull boat the middle seat is loose so watch out as you could easily go for a swim setting a hook.  Use sharper hooks so you don't need that hard hook set.  Of the 18 bass only 2 under 14 inches which we returned.  Get out there before a cold front drops that water into the 40's.

Posted By: Robert Lundin

Dec 07 2015

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Bob,,

You are one of my all time favorite "posters" with a great writing style. Deer Trail lost a bunch of fish 2 years ago to otters and cormorants. The lake has completely rebounded and is now as good as it was before the fish kill. When we started managing the lake 5 years ago, we took the average fish size from 11-12 (Under a pound)  inches to 15" to 16" (a little over 2 lbs) in two years. Moreover, you virtually never caught a fish over 3 lbs in 2011. In 2013, 4 and 5 lb fish were caught with regularity. In 2013 we had a fish kill from otters and cormorants, our fish densities dipped to about 25% of what they were. Today, the lake has rebounded. Mother nature filled the void and we see few otters and cormorants. 

On a side note, if you think otters are harmless; think again. Otters are about as destructive as any outside force on a fish population. Otters can rip through dozens of fish a day. In most cases they simply want the soft tissue organs of a fish, leaving the bulk of the fish for the buzzards, turtles, raccoons or coyotes. Two to three otters, left on a lake, for months can decimate a fish population on a small pond/lake. One of the many challenges with otters is that they are constantly on the move, they usually travel from pond to pond, lake to lake, using creeks or rivers to move. They often return to the scene of the crime after months of absence. The owner of the Sulphur Bluff Lakes is aware of otter damage and will "remove" the otters accordingly; when found on the lakes.

Dec 07 2015

Robert Lundin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

We didn't see any otters but we did see nutria on  the north end.  We were wondering how destructive they can be to the dam?  Legally can you remove nutrias? In talking about otters I saw two of them this past spring at Jer Mar. In another lifetime I use to trap muskrats, otters, fox, and mink. If it wasn't for the Viet Nam war and me joining the Navy I might have ended up a hermit in the Northwest Territories of Canada trapping for a living. Well the Navy happened, then Gloria happened, then a house happened then kids happened and now private water fishing. Could not be happier with the way my life has turned out so far. Oh going back to otters, the male otter will travel great distances in search food and females.  So sometimes they are just passing through onto the next pond or lake.  I'm sure the ones at Deer Trail came from the Sulphur river. Lot easier catching fish in a pond than a river system.  Have I said too much on this topic, everyone enjoy this great weather.

Dec 07 2015

steve carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Saw an otter on Thompson Lake as well. Not bothered at all with me fishing. It was pretty close to me for quite a while. Guess I didn't really think about how destructive they would be

Dec 08 2015

Jack DeVaney

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I have seen otters 2X when fishing Private Waters. At both Timber Lake and Deer Trail the fishing was over the minute they appeared. They followed me at a distance wherever I went and repeatedly dived looking for fish. My most memorable experience with otters occurred a number of years ago on a fly-in camping trip in Ontario. One of the fisherman in our party caught an 11+ pound walleye and submerged it on a tether at 20 feet to preserve it for a mount (this was pre-replica). When he pulled it up the next day as we were leaving it had been eviscerated. All of the organs gone and the body of the fish hardly touched. Those “cute” otters that we had been watching destroyed his catch.