John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 40267
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 06/22/2024 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 44 bass / most 2-3# / 15 harvested
Lures Used : squarebill, underspin, Ned, tube, weightless creature

Ron Dupree and I had a good outing at Post Oak lake catching bass despite the weather.  We arrived at dawn to a full moon, cloudless skies, and glass-smooth water.  Despite the lack of any visible surface activity, we started fishing topwater along the dam and I caught a couple of nice bass while Ron switched to a green tube with better success.  We toured the lake several times searching for any concentration of bass and found only scattered fish except for a shoreline near the house and the flats adjacent to the stumps/old creek channel.  With bright sun and a calm surface, we expected at least some bass to head deep but, if they did, we never enticed them nor saw them on our electronics. We ended up catching most of our bass on the flats (4-7 ft of water), me using a squarebill and Ron using a combination of underspin, tubes, and crankbait.  Later, a light easterly breeze and a few scattered clouds tried to convince us it wasn’t really that hot. About 1PM we took a last pass along the dam and caught a dozen using creature baits and other soft plastics but most of these were less than 12” and harvested.  We called it a (hot) day at 2PM.

Final tally: 44 bass; 15 harvested (most < 12”); most bass 2-3# with a couple at 4-4.5#; 1 crappie; 1 bluegill

The lake: 2-3” below full pool; 88 degrees; stained but clean water; scatterted (but thin and not at surface) submerged vegetation and quickly expanding shoreline vegetation (no more cattle)